Portal 10.3 Location Tracking with less than 30s Interval

09-15-2015 11:03 AM
MatthewQuigley
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am attempting to track a vehicle using the Location Tracking feature of Portal with Collector and an iPad. It is currently working and dropping a point of the iPad's location every 30s, however the interval is too large. The large interval does not provide enough detail about the path that the vehilce took.

I haven't found anything about reducing the interval to less than 30s and was wonder if it is even possible with Portal's location tracking and the Collector app. I have also heard that it is possible to continuously track the vehicle with a line rather than points, but have not had any luck with this method.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

That sounds more like a Geo Processor job

0 Kudos
MatthewQuigley
New Contributor II

Could you expand more on what you mean by a Geo Processor job?

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

Sure,

I should have said, Geo Event processor to be accurate.

It's an extension to ArcGIS Server (AGS) that allows for real time processing of data streams:

GeoEvent Extension | ArcGIS for Server

At this years UC, the GeoEvent guys mentioned some fairly impressive numbers for data rates.

I believe they mentioned 2KHz (or 2000 events per second) with AGS 10.3.1.

Now in the field of high speed data acquisition, that's low but for mapping solutions?

Blazing....

Here's a free training seminar from AGS 10.2

Esri Training | Real-time GIS with ArcGIS GeoEvent Processor for Server

and a good blog resource that points to a lot more info:

What is the ArcGIS GeoEvent Extension for Server? | ArcGIS Blog

I have not yet set one up, it's on my near term list.

As I understand, It works a bit like Model Builder.

You select Connectors to your data stream and there a bunch of connectors available:

Input Connectors—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

then you can add filters, triggers, geofences etc... and then hook up the data via output connectors to a map, email, file, IM, JSON, sockets, etc....

Output Connectors—Real-time Data Feeds and Sensors (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

Not sure how you would hook up an iPad as an input connector.

Most traffic tracking systems that I've seen used have a GPS on the vehicle that is then fed to a proprietary system.

We're looking at trying to get an RSS feed or a TCP socket from our current VTS (vehicle tracking system) so we can display it on a map.

I wasn't even aware that Collector could update at 2 hz.

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
StevenBell
New Contributor II

Would you mind explaining how you got it to auto-drop the point every 30 seconds?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Steven,

Please review this help topic,

Track where collectors went—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

Hope this helps,

StevenBell
New Contributor II

Thank you.

0 Kudos