pie chart color consistency

06-10-2011 03:11 PM
allisonbarden
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a pie chart problem.
I am trying to symbolize pie charts with the same fields (50) for many different polygons. I would like the fields to remain the same color across all the generated pie charts, but every time I make a new pie chart, it assigns completely different colors. I tried the import button under symbology> charts > pie, but it doesn't give me options for layers that have already been symbolized with pie charts.

Is there a way to fix this? I am running Arc10 with all SPs. I don't know code.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
allisonbarden
New Contributor
Thank you for your reply.

I tried all of your suggestions, but ran into roadblocks each time:

>> 3. in the righthand pane right-click and select New and then Random Color Ramp

I can not select New... this option is greyed out. I can only select Copy. How do I paste this into my style? Will it paste the same colors for the categories every time?

>>You can also edit an existing color ramp in the layer symbology dialog by right-clicking on the field that shows the color ramp and selecting Properties. If you edit it this way make sure you right-click on the field that shows the color ramp and select Save to Style right after you have edited it. Otherwise ArcMap doesn't save the style.

I tried this as well, and I can save the style, but when I set up the pies for other layers, it doesn't pull up my saved style. When I select the same color ramp for all the layers, I get the same colors, but they are assigned to different categories.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Allie
0 Kudos
allisonbarden
New Contributor
Thank you for your help on that, it worked beautifully! Manipulating pie charts can be befuddling.

Do you know how I might be able to save that style to a different place? It only looks a folder buried in my desktop ArcGIS files, but I often work on other machines and would like to take it with me.

Thank you so much!

Allie
0 Kudos