map will not display labels

05-03-2011 10:45 AM
KeslerRandall
New Contributor
I keep clicking "Label features in this layer" but can not get labels for specific field to appear in map for point shapefile.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Since loading SP3 I have had some issues with labels disappearing. I know the cause of the error but not the cure.

Say my label expression is:

[Name] & vbnewline & [ID]

Somewhere in my work the label expression changes on its own to:

[sde.sde.Stores.Name] & vbnewline & [sde.sde.Stores.ID]

Then at some point the labels start to fail so I have to manually erase the [sde.sde.] prefix to fix them.
I routinely turn on and off definition queries and use joins so I'm sure the cause is one of those but this only started in Arc10 SP3.

I'm thinking maybe the reverse solution to my problem might help. Add in the layer name to the label expressions.
0 Kudos
StephenTomasik
New Contributor
Any other ideas?  I'm having the same issue.

Arc10, trying to label features for a specific shapefile, tried multiple fields - none will display...

I've also tried to label other shapefiles in the same project - none are working.

If I click on "View Unplaced Labels" they show up in red.  If I "Convert labels to Annotation" nothing happens (except it turns off the label features option)

Hello there:-
A user was experiencing the same issue and not using Maplex. I performed many of the suggestions on this thread to no effect.
I copied individual layers into a new dataframe and discovered that a couple of the layers in the data frame had an inconsistent extent.
On removal of these rogue layers the label visibility returned.

Maybe of help if it's not too late..

Regards,
Stephen
0 Kudos