map will not display labels

05-03-2011 10:45 AM
KeslerRandall
New Contributor
I keep clicking "Label features in this layer" but can not get labels for specific field to appear in map for point shapefile.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
Check to see if there is a Definition Query applied to that pt layer.

Also see if an invalid Label Expression is being used.
0 Kudos
MelissaEdelbrock
New Contributor
Keslerr, have you checked to make sure you have the right value (field) selected from the drop-down box on that same properties screen?  If you don't select a field for which you want to show the labels, it won't show any, if I recall correctly.
0 Kudos
JenniferOtter
New Contributor II
Any other ideas?  I'm having the same issue.

Arc10, trying to label features for a specific shapefile, tried multiple fields - none will display...

I've also tried to label other shapefiles in the same project - none are working.

If I click on "View Unplaced Labels" they show up in red.  If I "Convert labels to Annotation" nothing happens (except it turns off the label features option)
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
Any other ideas?  I'm having the same issue.

Arc10, trying to label features for a specific shapefile, tried multiple fields - none will display...

I've also tried to label other shapefiles in the same project - none are working.

If I click on "View Unplaced Labels" they show up in red.  If I "Convert labels to Annotation" nothing happens (except it turns off the label features option)

So you are using the regular label engine and not the Maplex correct?

This seems to suggest that other features labels and features have weighting applied that is affecting the placement of your other labels.

You may have to just open the Labels tab for every layer that has labels turned on and press the Label Placement button.

Toggle the 'place overlapping labels' and play with the options in the Label and Feature weight pulldown menus.

If those labels are not the culprit, try turning off an annotation group if one has been built 'in-the-map'.
Open that data frame's properties and go to the Annotation Groups tab.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Can you confirm you are not using Maplex? Maplex is riddled with problems and will not place all labels even if the Never remove (allow overlap) option is checked. The only workaround is not to use Maplex and (as Donovan already suggested) check "Place overlapping labels".
0 Kudos
Fran_VirginiaHutton_Lee
New Contributor
I keep clicking "Label features in this layer" but can not get labels for specific field to appear in map for point shapefile.

It sounds like you may be right clicking in the Table of Contents (TOC) to lable.  Go also into Properties from there and select the Labels tab.  On that  screen there is a little box to check for turning on labels.  There, too, you can select from a drop-down menu the field you want displayed as a label.
0 Kudos
JonBrandt1
New Contributor II
Still not displaying labels.  Have tried all of the previous suggested fixes.  This is frustrating...
0 Kudos
MartyAnderson
New Contributor
I have had similar problems with lables not appearing in particular mxd's. What I discovered (I think) is that I had a CAD dwg in the map that for some reason was not allowing my lables to appear. As soon as I removed said CAD layer, all my labels appeared. I don't know why this happened, but I was able to work around it.

I hope this helps some of you...

Marty
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
If you have graphical text or other graphical elements, the labels will not show where there is a conflict.
0 Kudos