Legend and Graphics transparency in ArcGIS 10

04-20-2011 11:03 AM
LukeFloch
New Contributor III
Just installed ArcGIS 10 Desktop. Did I miss it or are we still not able to make our legend backgrouds or any graphics transparent? I thought this was a much overdue function that would be applied to 10. This was all I could find:

Ask A Cartographer
Make transparent graphic box to place behind legend items

July 20 2010 | 0 comments
Categories: Map Elements

I would like to add a transparent box behind my legend features, so that I can still see underlying map features. Apart from making a feature layer that can be set to transparent, how else can this effect be achieved using a graphic feature. My only other alternative is to complete the legend outside of Desktop using a graphics program (eg. Photoshop, Corel, etc.). I have access to ArcInfo 9.3 / 9.3.1 / 10.

Mapping Center Answer:

You cannot apply transparency to graphic elements in ArcMap, but you can to geographic features.  As you surmised, one way to do what you want to do is to draw a graphic rectangle for the area that you want to be transparent, then right click the data frame and select the option to Convert Graphics to Features.  Note that you have to be in Data View to do this.  Then you can apply the color and transparency you want to the feature.  But you can do all of this in ArcMap and not have to use a graphics program.

Is this for real? That is their solution? What if I need to change the scale of the map? So they spent a bunch of time working on making the GUI different and didn't build in this functionality? Must be taking product tips from Apple.
Tags (2)
3 Replies
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
You didn't miss anything. Transparency cannot be applied to graphics. The "Feature Layer" or "Image Editor" techniques is the only way.  Would be a nice feature.  Not even certain if there are any plans to do this in the future. Don't think production quality cartography is the ESRI's focus.
0 Kudos
BryanHill
New Contributor
You didn't miss anything. Transparency cannot be applied to graphics. The "Feature Layer" or "Image Editor" techniques is the only way.  Would be a nice feature.  Not even certain if there are any plans to do this in the future. Don't think production quality cartography is the ESRI's focus.

I am trying to convert a legend to graphics and cannot find that functionality anywhere in ArcMap 10.  What am I missing and if you can convert it to graphics where is the ability located?

Osokop "frustrated in Arizona"
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Right-click on the legend and choose Convert to Graphics.
0 Kudos