Labels converted to Anno, but can't see the label

Jump to solution
10-29-2012 10:12 AM
nimitz
by
Occasional Contributor
Hi all,
I have an .mxd that I'm having problems with. I have a set scale in layout view (1in=400ft) and want to convert my labels to anno forbetter placement. When I convert to anno the problem is I'm trying to copy some labels and move them around BUT when I copy and double click on properties, the DATAFRAME PROPERTIES dialog pops up, NOT the text box. The text is gone and the outline of the box is there (showing the selection), but nothing is in there. Weird.

I have a feeling it might have something to do with the REFERENCE scale, but I've changed it from 300ft to NONE to 100ft and still doesn't fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
When you convert labels to annotations, a new annotation group is created in map document.
In layout view, annotations can be moved or edited when you Focus Data Frame (small dashes appear around data frame) by double clicking inside data frame or using button of Layout toolbar.

When you copy and paste an annotation in Focus Data Frame mode, this annotation should be visible below original one. But by default it's not placed in the same annotation group as original annotation but in <Default>. It can be changed in Drawing toolbar: Drawing menu -> Active Annotation Target. It should not cause your problem but introduces a mess in annotations.

It's also possible, but undesirable, to copy an annotation in Focus Data Frame mode and paste outside this mode, in normal layout view. Then usually annotation text is not visible.
So make sure you copy and paste annotation in Focus Data Frame mode and to proper targed annotation group.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
When you convert labels to annotations, a new annotation group is created in map document.
In layout view, annotations can be moved or edited when you Focus Data Frame (small dashes appear around data frame) by double clicking inside data frame or using button of Layout toolbar.

When you copy and paste an annotation in Focus Data Frame mode, this annotation should be visible below original one. But by default it's not placed in the same annotation group as original annotation but in <Default>. It can be changed in Drawing toolbar: Drawing menu -> Active Annotation Target. It should not cause your problem but introduces a mess in annotations.

It's also possible, but undesirable, to copy an annotation in Focus Data Frame mode and paste outside this mode, in normal layout view. Then usually annotation text is not visible.
So make sure you copy and paste annotation in Focus Data Frame mode and to proper targed annotation group.
0 Kudos
nimitz
by
Occasional Contributor

Marcin, you nailed it. I had about 8 anno groups in this .mxd and the anno was getting "placed" in another group.

Many thanks for the help!
0 Kudos