Label appending Expression

Jump to solution
07-26-2013 07:04 AM
AbdulahadMalik3
New Contributor
Hey Folks,

I am working on a mapbook and need some assistance with labeling. For parcels in the subdivision I have Rural address shapefile to show the addresses.

In the shapefile I have two main fields; HOUSE ID (String) and ACCESS NUMBER (String). Some of the House ID's are A, B, C while others have numbers, ACCESS field is all numbers. I want to append HOUSE ID and ACCESS NUMBER.

However, here is what I want to do: if the House ID is Alphabetical then it should append after ACCESS NUMBER, if the HOUSE ID is Numeric then it should go before the ACCESS NUMBER.

What would be the function in vbscript or python I would use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Ok here is another question.

Lets say some of the HOUSE ID fields are empty, how would you modify the expression to say that if the HOUSE is empty/NULL use ACCESS NUMBER to label?

Function FindLabel ( [HOUSE], [NUMBER] )   If IsNull( [HOUSE] ) then     Findlabel =  [NUMBER]   Elseif IsNumeric( [HOUSE] ) then     Findlabel =  [HOUSE] & [NUMBER]   Else     FindLabel = [NUMBER] & [HOUSE]   End if End Function

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
You can use this syntax

Function FindLabel ( [HOUSE], [NUMBER] )
  if IsNumeric( [HOUSE] ) then
    Findlabel =  [HOUSE] & [NUMBER]
  else
    FindLabel = [NUMBER] & [HOUSE]
  end if
End Function
0 Kudos
AbdulahadMalik3
New Contributor
Works great 🙂
Thank you very much!

You can use this syntax

if IsNumeric( [HOUSE] ) then
  else
  end if
End Function
0 Kudos
AbdulahadMalik3
New Contributor

Lets say some of the HOUSE ID fields are empty, how would you modify the expression to say that if the HOUSE is empty/NULL use ACCESS NUMBER to label?
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Function FindLabel ( [HOUSE], [NUMBER] )   If IsNull( [HOUSE] ) then     Findlabel =  [NUMBER]   Elseif IsNumeric( [HOUSE] ) then     Findlabel =  [HOUSE] & [NUMBER]   Else     FindLabel = [NUMBER] & [HOUSE]   End if End Function
0 Kudos
AbdulahadMalik3
New Contributor
Great.
Thank You! 🙂

If IsNull( [HOUSE] ) then
    Findlabel =  [NUMBER]
  Elseif IsNumeric( [HOUSE] ) then
  Else
  End if
End Function
0 Kudos