Is a AGOL account needed to be invited to access someone elses enterprise portal

10-29-2019 10:09 AM
AlKamuda1
New Contributor II

What are the requirements to be invited to a (or another) enterprise portal if you have no online accounts with ESRI or a public account. 

2nd question if you are a member of your companies organization can you be invited to another organizations (different company / government entity) enterprise portal.  Will your right in your organization work on the other or will they need to match  - if the user on my portal is set to view will that limit them from being able to export data from the other portal.

What I mean by different companies enterprise portal the example would be I belong to Company XYZ needing to access / export data from the City of ABC and the County of EFG  different enterprise systems.

3rd how many different enterprise portals can a user be associated or invited to.

4th can 2 or more different enterprise portal access co-exist in Arc Desktop 10.7 like Pro.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Al,

Q1) What are the requirements to be invited to a (or another) enterprise portal if you have no online accounts with ESRI or a public account. 

The other organization would have to explicitly assign you a login to their enterprise portal. This will also depend on how they have configured portal security. If they have built-in logins configured, then it should be no problem - you will need access to their internal network. But if they have enabled a different security option such as integration with their Windows AD, or SAML integration, then you will also need to belong to their Windows AD or enterprise identity provider, respectively.

Q2) if you are a member of your companies organization can you be invited to another organizations (different company / government entity) enterprise portal. 

When you say "your companies organization" - I assume you mean your organization's ArcGIS Online organization - is that correct? or do you mean your organization's Portal for ArcGIS instance?

Irregardless of the answer, Portal for ArcGIS does NOT support the ability to invite members of other ArcGIS Online organzations, or another enterprise portal, to become a portal member.

Q3) how many different enterprise portals can a user be associated or invited to.

An ArcGIS Online organization login can be invited to many other ArcGIS Online organizations. An enterprise portal login can only belong to a single enterprise portal.

Q4) can 2 or more different enterprise portal access co-exist in Arc Desktop 10.7 like Pro.

Yes, ArcGIS Pro can support connections to multiple portals (ArcGIS Online organizations and enterprise portals).

Hope this helps,

AlKamuda1
New Contributor II

Derek thanks you for helping.  

On question 2  let me add to it  -  If I'm a member of my companies organization AGOL account (company ABC)(no portal or Enterprise ArcGis server) and given and accepted an invite to access a cities Enterprise Portal account (City XYZ in the state of CA) can I still be invited and added to a counties Enterprise Portal (County EFG in the state of FL).  If so do the user rights have to be explicitly set on each system.  Reading you response in question 3 I think you answered it but since my company does contracting work with different organizations (cities and counties) just wanted to know if this is possible or can create an issue and what would be a work around for users either having a AGOL account or no ESRI / AGOL account associated to the user.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Al,

> If I'm a member of my companies organization AGOL account (company ABC)(no portal or Enterprise ArcGis server) and given and accepted an invite to access a cities Enterprise Portal account (City XYZ in the state of CA) can I still be invited and added to a counties Enterprise Portal (County EFG in the state of FL)

The text in bold in your question - this functionality is not available. Portal for ArcGIS does not have the ability to invite members of other ArcGIS Online organzations, or another enterprise portal, to become a portal member.

> since my company does contracting work with different organizations (cities and counties) just wanted to know if this is possible or can create an issue and what would be a work around for users either having a AGOL account or no ESRI / AGOL account associated to the user.

If user X belongs to an ArcGIS Online organization A, they can be invited by user Y in ArcGIS Online organization B to participate in organization B (via a group). User X has to have an ArcGIS Online login to an organization, if they don't - then I suppose an admin in ArcGIS Online organization B can provide them with a login account to organization B.

Hope this helps,