Import Symbol from CAD (already loaded in ArcMap) for Geodatabase Layer

07-11-2011 10:33 PM
EkoDarminto
New Contributor
Dear Masters,
I have CAD file (microstation) and already displayed with color code symbol in ArcMap.

We are now working to convert that CAD file into personal geodatabase (PGD).
After conversion i have a problem to import the color code from CAD layer into PGD layer.

Could somebody tell me how to import that color code (from cad layer into PSGD)? or it is not impossible in ArcGIS

Thanks,
Eko Darminto
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
I might be wrong but I do not think it is possible for ArcGIS to respect the colour codes when importing to pgdb - as far as my experience goes.

Now if you export from pgdb to CAD and populate the CAD fields it will carry over to CAD.

Long ago, I wrote some VBA script to read the colour codes and assigned the proper colours to the lines in ArcMap but unfortunately that code is long gone and was written back in 9.3
0 Kudos
EkoDarminto
New Contributor
Dear Withershin,
Thank you very much for your answer, it's means a lot.

Yes you are right that the filed from CAD will populated in PGDB after conversion, and the field as color identifier also imported to the new layer in PGDB.

The problem is, i already set up the standard color in cad layer (when the layer open in ArcMap) and it's a large mount of color symbol and save it into LYR file.

Could you brief to import the color symbol in CAD layer into PGDB layer as easy as importing symbol form PGDB layer into the other PSGD layer (in Property ---> Symbol)

Thanks,
Eko Darminto
0 Kudos