import object- excel table- columns cut off

Jump to solution
07-18-2012 10:47 AM
AngelaCunningham
New Contributor II
I am trying to put an excel worksheet with 10 columns into a layout.

Using Insert>object  I've tried creating an excel table (and worksheet) but only 5 columns get displayed.  Trying to create from file instead I get 6 columns- better but not by enough.

Is there a limit on the size of table? Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be changed?

I came across an unresolved forum thread from Arc 9 about this same issue, but would hope it's been fixed in 10!

thanks,
  Angela
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Angela,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by you 'tried to create from file' instead?

I tried the workflow at 10.0 and this is not an issue (tested with a table of 11 columns).

Perhaps you could try saving the Excel file as a DBF and then add it to ArcMap through the Add Data button. Then, select to Add table to Layout from within the Attribute Table (Table Options) as a workaround.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi Angela,

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by you 'tried to create from file' instead?

I tried the workflow at 10.0 and this is not an issue (tested with a table of 11 columns).

Perhaps you could try saving the Excel file as a DBF and then add it to ArcMap through the Add Data button. Then, select to Add table to Layout from within the Attribute Table (Table Options) as a workaround.
0 Kudos
AngelaCunningham
New Contributor II
To clarify, using Insert>Object  you have the choice with the radio buttons to 'Create New' or to 'Create from File'. I tried both options and neither was working well, at least not using an .xlsx file.

Creating a file in Excel, saving it as a .csv and then using 'Create from File' worked, to a point.  All the data would show up  but any formatting would have to be done (and possibly redone) through ArcMap after the table had been inserted.
0 Kudos