I need some help!

04-29-2013 01:19 AM
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
Hey guys! I need some help with ArcGIS 10.1 . I study Geology and Geoinformatics and this semester we started learning ArcGIS.
I missed a lot of the lectures and now I have to make the map by myself or fail the class..
And since the teacher is duche and he don't want to help me, I've come here.
Can you give me some guidance on how to georeference a *.TIFF image. I got an old map that is scanned to *.TIFF file. I cropped it using Photoshop, because the original image was to big for the program to handle, apparently..
Here is the map that I have: http://oi40.tinypic.com/24nlkdj.jpg
I have to load this map in ArcGIS and draw some stuff on it.. I've been told that I have to open the map through the ArcGIS Catalog, but that made me even more confused..
So, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S: I would need more help with this, but for now I think that that is enough.. 😄
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
Hey guys! Long time no posting here, but I was really busy with that map.. :S
I got it all done, pretty much.. I just have to fill up the information in the attribute tables and I'm passing this class. 😄
So far, I feel kinda proud with me. 😄
I have to complete the map till 23th of May, which is after 2 days.

A valid reason why I didn't attempted this class?
Well, I live in Bulgaria, which have to be more that enough information, but anyway.. Our economy is pretty bad and the majority of the people here are pretty poor.. After my mom lost her job I started one in order to help financial to myself and my parents.. Turned out my university doesn't really support working students.. 😄
Anyway. Thank you all for the help!! I really appreciate it!
I have one more question, though..
I can't really find my way out with those attribute tables.. I have 6 layers - Rivers, Roads, Cities/Villages borders, Geological borders (which show where the different types of rocks start and end), Tectonics - which is pretty much only faults and Horizontals (not really sure if this is the right word for those brown lines all over the map). For each layer I have to fill up specific information, like type, name, character and such..
But, here is the problem.. How to add fields in the table? When I right click the layer and open the attribute table I have 3 fields - FID, Shape and id. I have to have Id, Type (Text 50) and Name (Text 20) [for the rivers and the cities], but I can't add any new fields.. Tried through the catalog to right-click the shape file and through the properties menu to edit the attribute table, but the "Add" button is inactive and I can't click it... :S Any ideas how to get those tables to work?
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
You can add a field by opening the attribute table, clicking the main table drop down and selecting Add Field.

If you have trouble finding that option you can always use the Add Field tool.

- Melanie
0 Kudos
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
Thanks, Melanie! 🙂 That was really helpful! 🙂

Also, I have the different types of roads on separate shapefiles, but it turned out that they have to be on 1 shapefile.. Is there a way to merge shapefiles?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Try the Merge Tool.

Melanie
0 Kudos
TsvetkoKrastev
New Contributor
Hey Melanie, thanks again for the help! 🙂

Just to update the topic.
So I turned in my work today.. Got an "A". x) The teacher was going for "B", but after I mentioned these forums, he was surprised that I was looking for help here.. 😄

Thanks to everybody for the help!
0 Kudos