How can I implement permissions in the arcgis portal or arcgis server at the object level?

04-01-2020 11:01 AM
YuriyLug
New Contributor II

For example: I have tables "company" and "customer" which have a one-to-many relationship, respectively. The customer has a foreign key link to the feature layer "construction object" which store some kind of spatial objects. Each customer and company has their own logins in the portal or on the server. Is it possible to make the company able to edit / read the "construction project" of its customers? And the others can’t. Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

How Yuriy,

Thank you for posting this question. I'm assuming the tables you mention reside in the Database. If so, so long as they are available through a rest endpoint such as ArcGIS Server. Then permissions should be setup at the Portal tier for the application to be work it as a 'Feature Layer' in portal.  It's important to distinguish where users will be consuming the data from, will this be from Portal or ArcGIS Server? 

If Portal, then once users have logins created from them. Layers can be added to groups for users to have access to them and make edits as necessary.  I hope this addresses your question. Please let us know if there's any other clarification needed. 

0 Kudos
YuriyLug
New Contributor II

Thanks for the answer! That's exactly what I did. Users of the "customer" and "company" groups can read the "construction object" layer. But I want the company to be able to read only features that belong to its customers.

0 Kudos
StevenRamirez
Esri Contributor

Read only can be controlled by adding data from a rest endpoint to portal as a Map Image Layer to Portal. This would be adding the map server service, which when added as an item to Portal will be a Map Image Layer.  Feature layers allow for editing. Hope this helps.  

0 Kudos