How can I get my grid for data driven pages to actually go over my map?

06-11-2012 05:39 AM
__6
by
New Contributor
For awhile, I was wondering what was going on. My grid was supposedly there someplace but I couldn't see where it was. Then after zooming out a lot, I saw the grid was way off some place else (see attachment). Why is this? How can I get it to go over the map like it is supposed to?

The map is in the top right corner, and the grid is the little blue dot near the bottom left.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
It looks like the two data sets have a different coordinate system
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
It looks like the two data sets have a different coordinate system

they're both undefined. the guy who worked before me had it all unprojected and somehow managed. Wait... can I just go into editing mode, select the grid and place it over the map?
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
okay, I did that, and it moved the grid but now the grid is far too small. How can I make it the proper size? Thanks by the way, I appreciate the help!
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
You need to define the projection of each data set, then you project one of them to match the other.  Simply editing and moving the data isn't going to work.  I looks like one of them is a Geographic Coordinate System (GCS) and the other is projected (could be UTM or State Plane).  Give them the proper definition (Define Projection tool), then project the GCS to match the other.  Someone must have documented this somewhere in your organization.
0 Kudos
__6
by
New Contributor
Someone must have documented this somewhere in your organization.

I'll have to ask later. You are right. It is something I have been meaning to do anyway because all of the data is unprojected.

However, I was able to find the grid previously used and added that. Now the only problem is that the they are divided too many times. For example, square 7E is divided into 7E1-7E4. I would guess this is an easy fix. How can I can I get it to display as just 7E, 7G, 8E, etc?

Again, that you for your help! I haven't worked with data driven pages since my first semester with GIS.
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
You're definitely going to want to get the coordinate systems defined. If no one in your organization knows what they are in, you can work through the following knowledge base article: Identify the spatial reference, projection, or coordinate system of data.

If you plan on just working with what you have, you can just merge these features together in Editor.

1. Start Editing
2. Use the Edit tool to select all of the grids you want to merge (7E1, 7E2, 7E3, 7E4). You can either drag a box or click each and hold shift.
3. Click the Editor drop down and select Merge.
4. Select the feature that you want the merged output to inherit the attributes from

Either that, or if there is a common attribute between 7E1, 7E2, 7E3, 7E4, you could use the Dissolve tool.
0 Kudos