Export Quality (PDF) of Curves

03-14-2012 01:57 PM
TimothyMills
New Contributor
I'm having an issue with exporting my layouts to PDF where line and polygon features with curves do not draw correctly.
Please see the attached image to see what the data looks like in ArcMap (Top) and from the PDF (bottom).

I've tried increasing my resolution, resample ratio, and image compression settings, and the only difference I am getting is in file size.

What other options might be causing this issue?

I am using ArcMap 10.0, SP3, Build 3600

Much thanks, any help is appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcinGasior
Occasional Contributor III
I suppose, the problem is that misbehaving lines are created as circular/eliptical arcs and ArcGis doesn't convert them into lines before export.

The solution may be to convert those curves into straight lines. You can do this using Densify (Editing) tool or when you have ArcView only - using ET GeoWizards Densify.
0 Kudos
CarsonGarver1
New Contributor
try exporting it as something else a jpeg or tiff and see if it still happens.

if it is still happening try creating a new .mxd

if it is still happening, if you are using a gdb, it might be corrupt and you may have to make a new one.  I have had issues like this with curves although I find them before exporting as a result of topolgy runs.  The line work should still be good so either load the data from the existing feature classes into the new GDB via catalog or just copy and paste them from ArcMap

or if you have 3D analyst extension with ERDAS we found it makes curves buggy within arcmap.
0 Kudos
ThanielG
Occasional Contributor
i know how you feel... your mxd is not corrupt. i've had this problem too...
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/13805-Export-to-PDF-issues
0 Kudos
TimothyMills
New Contributor
try exporting it as something else a jpeg or tiff and see if it still happens.

if it is still happening try creating a new .mxd

if it is still happening, if you are using a gdb, it might be corrupt and you may have to make a new one.  I have had issues like this with curves although I find them before exporting as a result of topolgy runs.  The line work should still be good so either load the data from the existing feature classes into the new GDB via catalog or just copy and paste them from ArcMap

or if you have 3D analyst extension with ERDAS we found it makes curves buggy within arcmap.

Disabling 3D Anaylist was the fix--much thanks!
0 Kudos