error trying to install web adaptor for portal

04-04-2017 11:03 AM
travisslack1
New Contributor III

So I had everything working 100% and the server housing or AD server died and had to be created from scratch. As such, everything stopped working for me.

I've uninstalled everything, rebooted to start the process over. Im following this Tutorial: Creating your first Web GIS configuration—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS Ent... 

So I installed Portal no problem, created my default admin. Services.msc shows portal running. 

Next I install web adaptor, give it the name portal and and get to the screen where I fill out the URL and username/pass. This gives me the error: " Unable to configure Portal with the Web Adaptor. Please make sure that the Portal machine is running and that the account specified has administrative privileges to the Portal."

or sometimes

" Failed to get administrator token from Portal. Please verify that the Portal URL specified can be accessed successfully."

Portal IS running and the account DOES have access. Its the account I created during the initial set up. Why isn't this working? Any ideas?

This is what my portaladmin looks like 

http://i.imgur.com/11KYwDM.png 

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is the SSL certificate configured with IIS? 

Is the URL of the Portal you are trying to configure in the following format

https://<FullyQualifiedDomainName>:7443/arcgis 

Don't use "\home" at the end of the URL (in case you are doing it).

Think Location
0 Kudos
travisslack1
New Contributor III

Hey Jayanta

I do have SSL configured with IIS. I have a CA cert but even using a self signed cert is giving me this issue.  I used to be able to use my domain https://web.vectorgeomatics.com:7443 on my last install and it worked fine with no issues as the portal URL for the web adaptor setup (loads fine shows my test message, SSL fully working). Even using the internal domain name vgfsjfs1.vector.vectorgeomatics.com (weird ad name we got switched to) doesnt work. https://vgfsjfs1.vector.vectorgeomatics.com/portal/webadaptor/portal  loads my web adaptor setup, but nothing works for portal URL. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

By any chance, do you have an older instance of web adaptor by the name "portal"?

What happens if you define a different name for your web adaptor (e.g. agportal)?

Think Location
0 Kudos
travisslack1
New Contributor III

I did before, it was called portal. Like I said, I uninstalled everything (portal, server, the two web adaptors), verified in my c:\ that the three folders (arcgisportal arcgisserver, etc) were deleted, then went into c:\inetpub\wwwroot to verify no web adaptors were present BEFORE doing any of this. This feels similar to my problem web adaptor not configuring portal  but logging into portaladmin doesnt show me existing portal sites or web adaptors. 

I havent tried using agportal ill have to see if that works...

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Travis,

> Like I said, I uninstalled everything (portal, server, the two web adaptors), verified in my c:\ that the three folders (arcgisportal arcgisserver, etc) were deleted, then went into c:\inetpub\wwwroot to verify no web adaptors were present BEFORE doing any of this.

Regarding uninstalling previous installations of Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server, for Windows OS you also need to go to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS

and remove both the Portal and Server folders before doing a new installation of each software program. Same for the ArcGIS Data Store (if applicable), you would delete the DataStore folder at the same location.

Hope this helps,

travisslack1
New Contributor III

Hey Derek,

Thanks. I hadn't removed the program files but that is good to know. I think the issue has to do with the fact our AD is "vector.vectorgeomatics.com" when it used to just be VGFSJ and im not 100% how its set up but it appears to be using a different self signed cert than the local server i have installed portal on. Now I imagine most hosts being local wouldnt have this issue and you'd only have one self signed cert to deal with.. In this case I think my portal server on vgfsjfs1 is using a different self signed certificate then vector.vectorgeomatics.com? I don't even know why our domain is set up like this but thats how it is now... 

EDIT: fifth time must be the charm, uninstalled reinstalled, deleted folders and its working. thanks folks

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos