Error: The Layer, ######, cannot be added to the map

09-07-2017 09:13 AM
EricShreve
Occasional Contributor II

I recently upgraded our ArcGIS Server 10.1 to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 and have begun to publish map/feature services through ArcMap 10.5.1. I am able to successfully publish content to our ArcGIS Server from ArcMap and add content/data in ArcGIS Online.

I am beginning the process of migrating from ArcGIS Online to Portal and want to publish content from ArcGIS Pro to Portal for ArcGIS. While in ArcGIS Pro, I attempt to share my data as a web layer and run the geoprocessing task and I am prompted with success that the data has published as a map service. When I access my Portal I attempt to visualize the data by adding it to a new map and am promoted with this error message "Error: The Layer, #####, cannot be added to the map." Additionally, when I copy the service URL and try adding it into AGOL to a new map, I am promoted with the same error message. I want to know if there is anything simple that I am missing with publishing data or do I need to contact ESRI Tech Support.

Things to Note:

ArcGIS Pro -- 2.0

Portal for ArcGIS -- 10.5.1

Server for ArcGIS -- 10.5.1

0 Kudos
16 Replies
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

When I see this, it's usually because of mixing HTTP and HTTPS content. If you open your browser, press f12 to open Dev tools, click on the 'console' tab and reproduce the issue, do you see an error?

EricShreve

Randall, here's the screenshot that I am getting in the Dev Console when I attempt to open the layer in a new map.

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks. I see you're working with Chrome, and the issue is that there's a trust issue with the GIS Server's certificate. To confirm what I think that the issue is, does the same problem happen with IE? If you browse directly to the 'Schools' layer noted in the screenshot, do you get an https error in Chrome? I'm asking because I'm thinking that this may be related to Chrome and Firefox no longer trusting CN in Certificates and requiring SAN (Subject Alternative Name).

EricShreve

Randall, I tested both layers in FireFox/IE and was prompted with the same error that was displayed in Chrome. On my server I currently have a Self-Signed Certificate, I assume the SSL that I currently have enabled on my ArcGIS Server and Portal will need to be verified and countersigned by a Certificate Authority? I have attached the screenshots of the developer consoles for both browsers.

FireFox Developer ToolsIR Developer Console

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

This is likely the case. Java/browsers won't trust a self signed certificate. When I test in house, I always obtain certificates from my in house Certificate Server. Your organization likely has an internal CA server. Failing that, you may generate a CSR and have it signed.

EricShreve
  • I did some digging through IIS and found that we have a Secure Certificate Authority issued by Go Daddy that doesn't have an expiration date until 2019                         Titled: _azdema.gov-Wildcard  
  • On the site Binding for port 443 the SSL Certificate is: _azdema.gov-Wildcard  
  • While digging through ArcGIS Server Admin Directory, I looked at the machines sslcertificates for gisweb and the expiration date occurred on June 07, 2016 so that would somewhat explain my certificate error on Portal and Server. 

How would I export or renew the valid CA Certificate that lives on IIS into ArcGIS Server Admin to update the expired certificate that I currently have?

0 Kudos
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi there, 

I know this post is super old, but I'm wondering if you figured out the solution was updating the certificate to one signed by a CA? I am having the same issue, error in the console is about the certificate being invalid, but I have suspicions that getting mine signed by a CA won't do the trick because I never trust ESRI's error messages not to be misleading...

0 Kudos
EricShreve

Molly,

Yes the solution that worked for me was to make sure the certificate was signed by a CA. Can you take a screenshot of what your are experiencing when you try to add a layer to a webmap?

Thanks,

Eric Shreve

MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Good to hear, hoping to get this sorted today. I'm getting certificate errors in the console, so I *think* this will fix my problem.

0 Kudos