Embed web map on ArcGIS Portal home page

Jump to solution
07-30-2018 01:48 AM
JohanaWong
New Contributor II

My boss wants me to embed a web map (google, bing,ESRi, any...) with few feature overlays on top.

From what I understand is that, the homepage customization is quite limited and only HTML&CSS is allowed. But is there any way to embed map? Pls help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Johana, 

This is possible using HTML to modify the home page banner or description.

I found the following link helpful for this:

Use a live web map as your Home Page banner · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub 

I tried to add a web map as my description for my home page but the web map would not load. Instead, I created a web mapping application using the Basic Viewer template and it was able to display on my home page.

Here are the steps I followed:
1. Create a web map
2. Create a web app from the map (Create apps from maps—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise)
3. Copy the URL of the web map
4. Edit the description (Organization > Edit Settings > General)

5. View HTML source (click the furthest right icon under the description)

6. Enter the following HTML:

<embed height="470" src="<webapp url>/data" type="text/html" width="960"></embed>
7. Click 'show description toward bottom of home page' checkbox

8. Save 

Note: ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.6.1 includes a new application called ArcGIS Enterprise Sites. ArcGIS Enterprise Sites allows you to create your own custom landing web page for your users. To find out more about ArcGIS Enterprise Sites, check out this video from the 2018 Esri User Conference plenary: ArcGIS Enterprise Sites - A Tailored Experience. If you think ArcGIS Enterprise Sites is something you would like to leverage in your organization, I suggest attending the free training seminar for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites on August 16th: Get Started with ArcGIS Enterprise Sites.

Hope this helps,
Marley

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Johana, 

This is possible using HTML to modify the home page banner or description.

I found the following link helpful for this:

Use a live web map as your Home Page banner · Esri/ago-admin-wiki Wiki · GitHub 

I tried to add a web map as my description for my home page but the web map would not load. Instead, I created a web mapping application using the Basic Viewer template and it was able to display on my home page.

Here are the steps I followed:
1. Create a web map
2. Create a web app from the map (Create apps from maps—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise)
3. Copy the URL of the web map
4. Edit the description (Organization > Edit Settings > General)

5. View HTML source (click the furthest right icon under the description)

6. Enter the following HTML:

<embed height="470" src="<webapp url>/data" type="text/html" width="960"></embed>
7. Click 'show description toward bottom of home page' checkbox

8. Save 

Note: ArcGIS Enterprise version 10.6.1 includes a new application called ArcGIS Enterprise Sites. ArcGIS Enterprise Sites allows you to create your own custom landing web page for your users. To find out more about ArcGIS Enterprise Sites, check out this video from the 2018 Esri User Conference plenary: ArcGIS Enterprise Sites - A Tailored Experience. If you think ArcGIS Enterprise Sites is something you would like to leverage in your organization, I suggest attending the free training seminar for ArcGIS Enterprise Sites on August 16th: Get Started with ArcGIS Enterprise Sites.

Hope this helps,
Marley

JohanaWong
New Contributor II

Hi Marley,

Thanks for you reply. You solved my problem!