ED50 above 62N

05-20-2013 07:30 AM
PatrãoPedro
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have got a new project which needs to be done in ED50 above 62N. I have previously worked on projects South of 62N with no problems, but now I don't know what coordinate system to choose or how to apply a tranformation?

Any help would be great.

Thank you for your time
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
To convert between ED50 and WGS84 with data post-2001 use ED_1950_To_WGS_1984_23 aka EPSG:1612. How wide an area does it cover? You could use a UTM zone if the area of interest fits within that extent. Otherwise, possibly a conic projection, but you would have to use a custom one.

Melita
0 Kudos
KatayounMesgarian
New Contributor III
To convert between ED50 and WGS84 with data post-2001 use ED_1950_To_WGS_1984_23 aka EPSG:1612. How wide an area does it cover? You could use a UTM zone if the area of interest fits within that extent. Otherwise, possibly a conic projection, but you would have to use a custom one.

Melita

Hi there,

I have got an issue on the same topic,,, there are couple of shapefiles in WGS84 which I'd like to convert into ED50 UTM31N (above 62N)
when trying to use the project tool in toolbox most of the shapefiles can be transformed without problem but for few of them the option ED_1950_to_WGS_1984_23 (for Geographic Transformation) is not available. I have checked data extent, there are only limited number of lines which seems to fall in one zone.

I was wondering if there was anything wrong with my data, or,,,

any idea much appreciated

thanks,
Katy
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Katy,

If you're using 10.1, we check the data extents against the transformation and GCS (source/target) extents. Maybe you're hitting that. Try projecting the data in ArcMap instead by including some layers that worked fine. Once the data's added, the data frame is set to the target coordinate system, and the transformation is set, right-click the layer and select data, export data. In the new dialog, toggle it to use the data frame's coordinate system.

If it does look like you're hitting an area of use issue with the transformation, would you mind sending me the extents of the layers you're having problems with? I can double-check what we're doing, and possibly ask that the area of use for the transformation or the GCS be revised so this data would work correctly. mkennedy at esri dot com

Melita
0 Kudos