Dynamic legend in ArcGIS 10.0

Jump to solution
07-12-2012 01:14 PM
JohnNerge
New Contributor III
Goal: To have a legend that only shows visible layer symbologies in ArcMap 10.0

Background: I have map that is symbolizing code enforcement cases by pulling live data out of SQL Server and joining it to parcel polygons based on parcel ID. The map gets exported daily using a simple Python script. There about nine different case types that can be shown on the map, but there are not always cases of every type open and displayed on the map. Currently, the map legend shows the symbology for all nine case types, when in reality there may only be 4-5 case types visible on the map. Ideally the legend would only contain the visible symbology for the (a la Dynamic Legend in Arc 10.1).

Question: Is there a way to configure the legend or layer so that the map legend will only show the case type symbologies that are currently visible on the map (without upgrading to ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 of course)?

Thanks to anyone who has the answer, even if the answer is no 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Unfortunately, the answer is going to be no at 10.0- this is new functionality at 10.1. I have heard of a "Legend Limiter" add-in, but I'm not sure how well this works. Hope this helps John.

Luke

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Unfortunately, the answer is going to be no at 10.0- this is new functionality at 10.1. I have heard of a "Legend Limiter" add-in, but I'm not sure how well this works. Hope this helps John.

Luke
0 Kudos
JohnNerge
New Contributor III
Hi,

Luke

It does help, thanks very much. It's not a high priority item for me, but it will help when the time comes to make the pitch to upgrade to 10.1.
0 Kudos