Distributed Collaboration and Map/Tile Layers as References

03-21-2019 11:08 AM
KatherineFuller
New Contributor

Hello!  I have a question about future releases of Distributed Collaboration.  We are using a portal to portal distributed collaboration.  Currently, map and tile layers are shared as references and do not have the option to be shared as copies.  For this reason, members of a distributed collaboration must be members of both portals, which defeats the purpose of having a distributed collaboration in our case.  Only feature layers can be shared as copies and can be seen by members of the collaboration portal group.  Are there any future plans for other layer types to be supported as copies instead of references?  Thanks for your help!

6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your feedback! We are working on the ability to copy map services at a later release. For tile layers - are you using raster tiles and/or vector tiles?

Hilary

0 Kudos
KatherineFuller
New Contributor

Thank you for your response!  We are using vector tiles at this time, but we may have a need to share raster tiles in the future as well.

NicholasLaMar
New Contributor III

Hi Hillary - has there been any progress on this? We're having the same issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nicholas, we released an option to save credentials in referenced services so that users do not have to log into the original Enterprise organization to view services. Though this does not share these services as a copy as the initial idea addressed, it does remove the overhead of having to create and manage credentials for collaboration participants that are outside of your organization.

Here is a blog that goes into more detail. We're interested to hear how this solution may help.

Thank you!

What’s New in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1: Saving Credentials in Collaboration 

0 Kudos
SH013
by
New Contributor III

Hi Hilary,

just a quick thought on this, as we're slowly moving into AE environment  and trying to fimiliarize with some the new capabilities. I understand that the saving credentials in collaboraiton is only available  in post 10.8 or later  and only available between AE environments.  It does addresses the issue where guest organization users do not have to manage another account from the host organization. However, with that being said, I am still curious if there is any future plan that map and tile layers will have the option to be shared as copies. I do find it that it is more flexible consider that I can expand the sharing to my other organization groups. This isn't available if it is just a reference layer.

Thanks!

Sam 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Hilary, 

We are also wanting to share copies from an ArcGIS Enterprise. Unfortunately, saving credentials is not an option for us, due to our client's security requirements. 

Could you or anyone in the Distributed Collaboration team be able to provide a product/capability roadmap for Distributed Collaboration, pretty please? Just so we know what to plan for. 

And, are there plans to add more supported content item types for Distributed Collaboration? We'd like to be able to share Map Image Layers, Tile Layers, Raster Layers, as copies. 

Kind regards, Nina Cehak

0 Kudos