Display KMZ Icons In Portal Map

07-10-2015 11:52 AM
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

We are running ArcGIS Portal 10.3, federated with ArcServer.

I have a kmz with embedded icons (in an image folder).  I know the icons are being referenced correctly in the kml because it displays properly in GoogleEarth.  When I upload the kmz to Portal and display it on the map, I get a bunch of Red X's where the icons should be.  Grrrrr!

Why?  How can I get them to display in Portal?  Banging my head against the wall, here.

Thanks,

Brendan

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulDavidson1
Occasional Contributor III

I know next to nothing about KMZ format but red icons on a web page typically represent a missing or inaccessible image file.  You say embedded but then mention an image folder?

Does Portal have access to the image folder, proper permissions on the folder, etc...?

I've also struggled with websites and accessing an image folder and whether I'm using relative of direct pathing.

This can be very frustrating.  I typically start with reapplying permissions on the Image folder and all files inside of it.

If you copied it elsewhere onto Portal then it may not have permissions setup correctly.

HTH

0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

The image folder is packaged with the kmz file (which is really a zip file directory).  The whole thing gets uploaded to portal.  Some kmz's display just fine, and others don't.  I am trying to figure out the delta between the ones that work and the ones that don't.

Is portal able to read from stylemaps?  For example, if the kml file has a style map that the placemarks refer to, can portal sort out the references?

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

Do you mind posting a copy of your KMZ?

0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

Believe me I would, but it's on a closed network.

0 Kudos
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

I don't use Portal at all, but I was hoping to look at the xml code behind the kml and see what was going on. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Brendan,

Are the points displaying properly in ArcMap after KML to Layer conversion?

Think Location
0 Kudos
BrendanDwyer
Occasional Contributor

Jayanta, yes, I can convert the file to a layer/gdb with the KML to Layer tool. Everything looks fine there.

Here's something odd....I take a KMZ file that displays properly in GoogleEarth, change the file type to .zip.  Then unzip the archive, then, without changing anything, zip it back up.  Then change the new .zip file name to .KMZ and open it in GoogleEarth.  Instead of the correct icons, I get the Red X's.

WTH?

0 Kudos