Custom Line Styles for Feature Layers in ArcGIS Enterpise

Jump to solution
04-20-2021 08:59 AM
AaronEvans
New Contributor II

I'm currently developing a WebApp where I want to make use of some of the more detailed styles available in ArcGIS Pro (see Example Below).

I have attempted to follow this technical article: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012539 the problem here is the style gets downgraded when shared.

I have also tried to use Generate Render with details from an export lryx file and despite getting a valid response nothing is changed.

I am genuinely at a point where I think this functionality doesn't exist. Is this the case?  

AaronEvans_0-1618933124066.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The hosted image layer is "linked" to the hosted layer, so changes would be reflected as soon as the underlying data changes. No need to republish! You can also have the hosted image labeling based off an Arcade function.

When you configure a hosted image layer, you do have the option of enabling data access to the resulting layer as well, so you'd have the ability to apply filters to it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The short answer is "no". At least, not with a Feature Service. The issue here is that a feature service is constrained by what's possible in the JavaScript API's symbol settings.

There are ways around this, though. In recent updates to Enterprise, the ability to publish hosted map image layers was added. These, while using a hosted layer as their data source, can take advantage of all the symbology options available to you in Pro. If your data source is not a hosted layer, you can still accomplish though through publishing a standard Map Image service as well.

In either case, the answer is a map image that is dynamically drawn by the server, rather than a feature layer that is rendered according to the JS API.

Here in my org, we use hosted image layers for complex line symbols and labelling, such as contours and legal boundaries, and they work very well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AaronEvans
New Contributor II

Thank you for the reply I suspected map image layers would be the option the problem is the brief was to edit and create features in a WebApp, beyond that the plan was to use arcade to label these features with how many fixed length fences would be needed along a polyline so not sure a hosted map image would work here.

Unless I create some geoprocessing tool that triggers on changes and republishes the layers and then have the feature service layers as transparent for the labelling/on fly calculations. there is an element where I would want to filter features too and don't think that would be possible with a map image.

Surprised to find polygon hatching supported and not marker lines! Needs to be on the roadmap.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The hosted image layer is "linked" to the hosted layer, so changes would be reflected as soon as the underlying data changes. No need to republish! You can also have the hosted image labeling based off an Arcade function.

When you configure a hosted image layer, you do have the option of enabling data access to the resulting layer as well, so you'd have the ability to apply filters to it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
AaronEvans
New Contributor II

Jcarlson, I was convinced you had misunderstood me but nope I was wrong that does work! this is the work around I needed cheers! Just wish there was native support for marker lines.

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear it!

And I believe the native, out-of-the-box support is simply a matter of time. If you look at the symbol possibilities in the 4.x JavaScript API, you'll see that there are more complex options, even CIM symbols (equivalent to Pro).

There's a simple example here: https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/sample-code/cim-line-arrows/

As tends to be the case, everything we want is already possible, but requires some custom code. I'm sure it won't be too long before these options are available in the built-in tools, though.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS