Changes to SDE data Not Showing in Portal Hosted Feature Layer

01-05-2021 11:27 AM
LeviCecil
Occasional Contributor III

I have a floor plan dataset in an sde. We've published this as a hosted feature layer in our Portal and copied it to the federated Server. I'm making edits in the data, but they are not showing up in my Field Maps app which contains the hosted feature layer, even after refreshing the map and signing out and back in. We've just set up our Enterprise, so I'm not totally familiar with exactly how to configure everything. We were using a standalone Server before, and this process worked.  

0 Kudos
12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Levi,

This is expected behavior.

If you publish the SDE feature class as a hosted feature layer, you are copying the data into the hosting server configured with your ArcGIS Enterprise organization. Because this is a copy, the hosted feature layer is static, which means that any data updated in the SDE will not be present in the hosted feature layer, and vice versa. If you want the feature layer to be dynamic, then you will need to publish the dataset as a referenced feature service from a registered enterprise geodatabase. 

For more information, I would recommend that you check out the following documentation:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/what-is-a-feature-service-.h...

Hope this helps!

-Calvin

VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Are you editing the hosted data or the source of the Enterprise feature class used to create the hosted data?

You can publish a map/feature service which accesses the Enterprise geodatabase feature class directly, but the "hosted" part of the name generally indicates that the federated DataStore is now managing the data, not the original source geodatabase (at least, with respect to the hosted service), which would correlate to the behavior you are seeing.

- V

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

Yes, I was editing attributes on the sde data in Pro. There was a mistake in the Level_ID field needed for Field Maps. Should I bring the Portal Map into Pro and edit there? I'll need edits to go both ways though. The layer is sync enabled.

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

I thought I did publish it as a referenced feature layer?

share.PNG

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Based on your above screenshot, that looks like you are publishing the data as a referenced feature service. My only note of caution would be if the data source is not registered with ArcGIS Server. then you may see a warning at the time of publishing indicating that says the data will instead be copied to the server. 

A good way to check if an existing service is hosted, copied, or referenced is to go to the Server Manager page. If the service is in the "Hosted" folder, it is a hosted service.

CalvinLietz_0-1609877714700.png

If the service is another folder it is not hosted. Further, you can click the database icon to see if the service is referenced or copied.

CalvinLietz_1-1609877798366.png

LeviCecil

It is a hosted layer in the server manager. The sde data source is also registered with the server. We had an identical set up on AGOL with a proxy hosted service from our sde and standalone server. When I made edits in Pro, they showed up in the feature service immediately, and vice versa. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like the dataset was inadvertently published as a hosted feature service rather than a referenced feature service. I would recommend you run through the publishing workflow again, using the parameters specified in your above screenshot, and confirm that the service appears as "Referenced". If this is the case, then the edits should be dynamic as expected.

0 Kudos
LeviCecil

I republished exactly as in the screenshot, and now it's just a feature layer. Not hosted or referenced. Do I need to register the data as versioned in the sde?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

What do you mean by "not hosted or referenced"? If you click the database icon next to the service in Server Manager, what tab is highlighted?

0 Kudos