Changed DNS, now portal is broken.

10-30-2017 07:46 AM
travisslack1
New Contributor III

Hey folks,

We recently switched internet up in the office which entailed the web mapping server getting a new DNS. This has broken Portal  Now, this is the page I get.

Main Portal Page

web.vectorgeomatics.com load my test page fine, web.vectorgeomatics.com/portal/home gives me said error. 

If I remote desktop into the server that portal/server is hosted on and I go start > arcgis web adaptor (portal or server) it tries to load the localhost https://localhost/portal/webadaptor and I get the "There is a problem with this website’s security certificate." and If I hit continue it just loads "The webpage cannot be found".

Anyone have any quick ideas that might fix this short of having to reinstall /  re set everything up? Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
harleypowers_parks
New Contributor III

what do you mean by "new DNS"?

Instead of using the localhost, use the full name of the machine like: "https://mymachine.dom1.dom2.com:7443/arcgis/home" confirm this works first.  

0 Kudos
travisslack1
New Contributor III

Hey Harley,

We recently got a new ISP which involved us receiving a new static IP address...I am not sure what that entailed changing on the back end, but now I can't really load anything.

Loading the mymachiene.dom1.dom2 also didnt work either, "this page can't be displayed'. Services.msc shows both portal and server running. 

0 Kudos
harleypowers_parks
New Contributor III

try the ..:7443/arcgis/adminpanel  and look at the log files.

if this is not working, then look in the portal's log files located here: <arcgisportal site location>\logs\<your machine name>\portal

There should be some errors that make it a little more clear what's going on.

you may need to talk to your network person at some point. 

if you just want to look, in windows, using a command prompt or powershell, and check the network configuration.. "ipconfig /all" will tell you what the machine name is and what ip is and confirm with the network person if it's right.

ipconfig /all

<returns something like>

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TEST-Machine-N1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : test.machine.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : test.machine.com
pwc.uis

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-65-FA-74-FC
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 60.80.170.144(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 60.80.170.129
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 190.160.240.20
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did the domain name of the portal change, or simply the DNS server but the original domain name was retained?

0 Kudos
travisslack1
New Contributor III

DNS server, domain name retained. Had no idea what happened, ended up reinstalling Portal and its normal again. Thanks for the help folks.

0 Kudos