Change Default Raster Color Ramp from Black to White to...

09-01-2011 05:27 AM
JamesSimard1
New Contributor III
I insert many rasters into my Arc projects daily and by default the color rmap is always black to white. I have to manually change to a more 'elevation-friendly' color ramp consisting of earthy colors.

In the style manager window I am unable to perform any changes to the ESRI.style list of styles. The only option I can can choose is to right click on a style and click copy. If I could just manually change the black to white color ramp to the elevation color ramp I would be good but it's not letting me. Any ideas? If not in the Style window, where else can I change this?

Thanks, James
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WadeGivens
New Contributor II
I insert many rasters into my Arc projects daily and by default the color rmap is always black to white. I have to manually change to a more 'elevation-friendly' color ramp consisting of earthy colors.

In the style manager window I am unable to perform any changes to the ESRI.style list of styles. The only option I can can choose is to right click on a style and click copy. If I could just manually change the black to white color ramp to the elevation color ramp I would be good but it's not letting me. Any ideas? If not in the Style window, where else can I change this?

Thanks, James

Ever get an answer to this?
0 Kudos
JamesSimard1
New Contributor III
Ever get an answer to this?

Hi Wade, no I haven't.
0 Kudos
SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III
Hi James,

From what i have seen the ESRI.style is greyed out in the Style Manager window and therefore you can only copy it. Have you tried copying a ramp into one of your own Styles and making it your default style?
(By opening Style Manager>click Styles...on the RH and Create New Style) Then...open Styel Manager again...click Styles...button and tick your new style to make it default. If you are using Arc10 when you want to select a new symbology this will be at the top of the list.

If this dosn't change the default colour ramp try using within the Layer Properties>Symbology Tab>Categories>Match to symbols in a Style and see if that helps this will only keep the symbology for that *.mxd doc but may help with visualising your data.

I hope this helps
0 Kudos