Can you update a standalone table in portal for arcgis?

10-02-2019 09:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A client would like to update a table in our portal. Is it possible to make an editable portal layer from just a table? I have searched and it looks like this cannot be done, but I thought I'd try.

This person would need to add records or change values in fields in existing records. 

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Clients cannot do it at our company through our Portal unless we give them full access behind our firewall.  And that ain't happening.

However, he have a number of Vegetation contractors that do need to do work for us and update tables etc.

We created accounts for them on AcrGIS Online.  You can then create services and publish them to AGO that they can edit.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you,

I normally try to avoid simple, hand-holdy questions, but what I don't know how to do is publish the standalone table as a portal layer. I think access is not an issue.

I just don't know how to publish a table. I added a standalone table to an APRX, tried to publish, and got an error, "No layers to publish!" 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

My apologies. Yes you have to publish a point, line, or polygon layer with the table.

Otherwise I would suggest looking into Survey 123

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is reference to a "table layer" in the Portal for ArcGIS documentation, but I have no idea how to create one. It may just be poor wording, or confusion on my part. I'll try to see if I can use  shapes for this particular update, but it won't be straightforward.

Thanks,

Randy

MarleyGeddes
Esri Contributor

Hi Randy, 

If your Enterprise portal is configured with a hosting server, then you should be able to add a non-spatial csv or xlsx as a hosted table item. You can enable editing and share the hosted table like any other portal item.

Navigate to the Content page > Add Item > From Computer. Browse and select the csv or xlsx containing the table and ensure the "publish this file as a hosted layer" option is enabled and select "None, add as table" for the locate by features option.

Here is a screenshot of this from the Enterprise portal at 10.6:

Users can then edit the table directly in the data tab under the item details or by adding the table to the Map Viewer and opening the table.

I am not sure when support was added for this, but this functionality has been in since at least ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.

Hope this helps,
Marley

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, but the table needs to be maintained in our on prem sde. It needs to be a registered dataset, rather than a hosted one.

SeanBrooks
New Contributor II

Hi Randy, I am trying to do exactly what you are doing. I have a registerd sde table i would like to publish and have users edit it. I am on 10.8.1 and there still seems to be the same restrictions, i am not able publish just a table. What did you finally decide to do with this? thanks,

Sean

SergeiTomin
New Contributor

I know I am late to the party, but you can publish a standalone table directly from the contents pane in ArcPro.  Just right click the table, go to sharing, then share as table.  Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
PhilipWeeks
New Contributor III

One avenue that you may want to explore is adding a Data Store item to your portal.  There was an option to sync layers and it appears it's creating feature layers and map image layers corresponding to tables as well.  The biggest issue is that to get the layers you have to use the Sync Layers option of the data store and I think it'll create items for every single thing in the datastore.  I wound up doing that and deleting all the ones I didn't need. 

Not sure if there's other issues and considerations with this method.  It really seems like having a registered data source that is a table instead of a layer would be a common enough use case that there would be an option to just share the table but I've been in the same boat trying to find workarounds.