can't add shapefile

Jump to solution
08-21-2015 01:04 PM
IgorBalotsky1
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to add a SHP file to a web map by going to Add > Add layer from file but I get this error:

The file, 'MyShapeFile.shp', cannot be added to the map.

The portal is not configured to support this file. Contact your portal

administrator for assistance.

I am running 10.3.1. Any suggestions?

Igor

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Igor,

Per the following documentation it looks like a hosting server is required to add Shapefiles:

About using your portal with ArcGIS Server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

"A hosting server is required as it performs validation of Shapefile and address data added to the web map."

View solution in original post

3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Igor,

Per the following documentation it looks like a hosting server is required to add Shapefiles:

About using your portal with ArcGIS Server—Portal for ArcGIS (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

"A hosting server is required as it performs validation of Shapefile and address data added to the web map."

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A shapefile is never a *.shp file alone. Try to put all the files starting with <MyShapeFile.*> in a zip file. And add the zip-file to the Map on Portal for ArcGIS.

The files of a shapefile should look similar to this.

Think Location
TiffanySelvidge1
Occasional Contributor III

Adding to what Jayanta said:

Shapefiles used in Portal are not just recommended but are required to be in zipped format. Adding each file individually will not work. Here is a link from the Portal for Arcgis Website Help - Portal for ArcGIS Website Help

This also applies to any File Geodatabases that you want to upload; ie. they must be zipped first and then uploaded and used.