Blank error message for any analysis

Jump to solution
11-24-2020 05:39 PM
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Analysis via our 10.7.1 ArcGIS Enterprise portal has been a feature that I haven't exposed users to yet. When I went to use them recently I realised that any analysis fails with the below blank error message box. 

blankerror.jpg

So I tried restarting the publishing and publisingex services. I also used the browsers (Chrome) devtools to catch any errors when I stepped through the process. No issues there. I swear it worked when I first spun up the portal but I'm not sure how long its been broken. I haven't powered down and restarted the vm server itself yet which was my next move. Has anyone got any ideas? 

Cheers,
James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Its taken a long time to get to the bottom of this issue with a lot of help from ESRI techs. Turns out the problem was an extra '/' in the federated admin url. i.e. Instead of machine.domain.com/arcgis I had machine.domain.com/arcgis/. This has caused strange bugs all over ArcGIS Enterprise. I had to sadly refederate which broke all of my services but now everything runs as expected. I've asked ESRI to put an extra line of validation code to dock the extra slash when setting the server admin url which would fix this issue permanently. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Travis_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hello James,

Are you noticing any further errors in the Portal/Server logs? You could also check the service-level logs for the analysis service as well. I would recommend setting them both to verbose/debug and seeing if you can glean more information from the logs. 

Travis

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi @Travis_Esri,

Apologies for the late reply. I did check the portal and server logs before and couldn't find anything. However thanks to your post I went looking in the Windows logs. I've found the problem. Arc threw a system level error. 

winlog.png

I've used an AD user as is recommended by ESRI to run all of the arcgis processes. It appears to be a rights issue. Specifically a "Local Activation permission". I think I may have fixed the issue using the instructions from https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activ... but I don't think it will apply until I reboot the server. I'll be doing that shortly to see if hopefully the arcgis user has access to that COM module. 

Thanks for your help. 

Cheers,
James

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hmm. Restart hasn't helped. Problem still persists. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

We don't use DCOM in the software, so that error can be ignored. Were you able to look at the JSON responses in the dev tools or Fiddler and see if there are any errors that aren't being handled well by the map viewer?

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Hi @JonathanQuinn 

Thanks for your response. From devtools it seems there's no errors. I can make the warnings disappear if I want by fiddling with the devtools settings. All network resource responses come back green. 

devtools.jpg

When I look at the response for the job submitted to the GPServer I can see the error. 

{"jobId":"j83f11f0370504d62a2719ece324665c1","jobStatus":"esriJobFailed","messages":[{"type":"esriJobMessageTypeInformative","description":"Submitted."},{"type":"esriJobMessageTypeInformative","description":"Executing..."},{"type":"esriJobMessageTypeError","description":"Invalid value for parameter inputLayer - Details : Accessing URL https://maps.portofnewcastle.com.au/server/rest/services/Hosted/colabtest/FeatureServer/0 failed with error ERROR: code:403, Access to this resource is not allowed, Access to this resource is forbidden, regardless of authorization.. "},{"type":"esriJobMessageTypeError","description":"Failed."}]}

I can browse to that resource without logging into the rest server and there should be no restrictions. This little test layer is globally shared. Any ideas what went wrong?

Thanks again. 

James

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Hm, I'd double check the network traffic in the dev tools or Fiddler. There's likely a network requests that isn't coming back with the expected response and the map viewer is catching that, but isn't able to parse/return the error within the response.

0 Kudos
James_OKane
New Contributor III

Its taken a long time to get to the bottom of this issue with a lot of help from ESRI techs. Turns out the problem was an extra '/' in the federated admin url. i.e. Instead of machine.domain.com/arcgis I had machine.domain.com/arcgis/. This has caused strange bugs all over ArcGIS Enterprise. I had to sadly refederate which broke all of my services but now everything runs as expected. I've asked ESRI to put an extra line of validation code to dock the extra slash when setting the server admin url which would fix this issue permanently. 

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I realize that this doesn't help you now, but for the future, and for anyone else running into this, the admin URL can be updated via the Sharing API. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-questions/edit-portal-services-url/m-p/430617/highli...

Steps 1-5 go through this. You can also see them in the documentation we have on migrating from a non-HA site to an HA site. While the context is different, the steps to update URLs is the same (step 10):

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/linux/configure-existing-enterprise-deploy...