ArcGIS Pro connectivity with ArcGIS Portal

09-27-2020 02:04 AM
Ranga_Tolapi
Occasional Contributor III

How to make ArcGIS Pro connectivity with ArcGIS Portal in the below architecture diagram?

When used privatePortalURL to connect ArcGIS Portal from ArcGIS Pro, seems like internally request is redirecting to ArcGIS Server External URL and eventually failing.

ArcGIS Server federated with ArcGIS Portal using the the Portal's external URL

ArcGIS Enterprise Architecture

ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ranga Satish Kumar Tolapi‌,

The issue here may be the fact that Portal only expects end user applications to be accessing the environment via the Web Context URL - Portal isn't designed for internal and external users to be accessing the environment via different URLs. The privatePortalURL is more used in Highly Available deployment scenarios to provide ArcGIS Server access to both portal machines in an HA configuration + to keep internal server-portal communication running in the event one of the portal nodes goes offline, but it's not really intended to provide access to end users access to the portal. 

Does the connection from ArcGIS Pro work if we attempt to connect via the Web Context URL?

0 Kudos
Ranga_Tolapi
Occasional Contributor III

Hi James Brander

Thank you for enlightening on the point below

The issue here may be the fact that Portal only expects end user applications to be accessing the environment via the Web Context URL - Portal isn't designed for internal and external users to be accessing the environment via different URLs.

In that case, my next questions would be...

• For the architecture given in my initial discussion, from ArcGIS Pro how to Share with ArcGIS Portal using the option Reference registered data?

or

• Where should be the ArcGIS Pro located, such that before & after sharing from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Portal data source can be pointed to the same Geodatabase (of application tier)?

I prefer the data source should be pointed to the same Geodatabase (of application tier) by ArcGIS Pro (before sharing) and Map image layers/Feature layers (after sharing).

Does the connection from ArcGIS Pro work if we attempt to connect via the Web Context URL?

Yes. However, ArcGIS Pro connected externally cannot access the Geodatabase (of application tier), thus I would not be able to use the option Reference registered data for sharing with ArcGIS Portal.

Is there any possible way to use the option Reference registered data while sharing from ArcGIS Pro (connected using WebContextURL) to ArcGIS Portal?

0 Kudos