ArcGIS Portal Server Windows Upgrade

07-31-2019 12:34 AM
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I am running ArcGIS Enterprise (single tenant ) - Portal federated with server - 10.6 on Windows 2008 server. As windows 2008 support is retiring . I was asked to upgrade OS to latest version. Since I never done any OS upgrade or not sure impact on ArcGIS. My thought process is spin up a new Server with 2016 OS and install ArcGIS enterprise and migrate the content from 2008 server.

The question, new server I would like to keep same dns as a original one, because many of other applications which consume services from portal needs to be retained. Please help me if this is feasible and what are pros and cons. Anything specifics do I need to worry about.

Thanks in advance

LV

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerrickWong
Esri Contributor

Hi Lakshmanan Venkatesan,

If your new VM has a different machine name and ip address, you can proceed with what you have suggested. And have your alias point to the new VM once you have migrated your content and tested your new setup.

Pros would include:

• Keeping your current setup running for BAU.
  • Having access to your existing portal/services directory would make live a lot easier when doing the migration; you will have a point of reference.
  • Any mistake you make wont affect your current environment.

The migration process is going to be tricky. Good luck 😃

Regards,

Derrick

0 Kudos
LakshmananVenkatesan
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Derrick. Yes new VM going to different machine name and IP. I believe portal and server web adaptar name should be same as old one. Is there any other parameter should match? or do I need to take into consideration?.

Does portal and server import /export option help? I remember long back, portal is closely tied to machine name. if you export dump and import on machine with different name will fail. Any thoughts?

I am trying jolt down all steps and process for this migration. 

Anyway thanks again for quick response.

0 Kudos
DerrickWong
Esri Contributor

Hi Lakshmanan Venkatesan‌,

AFAIK, import / export only works when the machine name is the same. Keep the web adaptors names the same. The other thing you may want to consider is your SSL certs (if not using wildcard and/or on different domain); if you have registered them with Portal/Server, and they are now different, you will need to change them.

Regards,

Derrick

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

There are a couple of strategies you can use to migrate Enterprise to a new machine:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/migrate-to-a-new-machine-...

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-enterprise/administration/migrate-to-a-new-machine-...

The second approach, that uses the DR tool, does support different backend machine names, but the public URL must remain the same.

0 Kudos