ArcGIS Portal Issue

10-03-2017 01:30 AM
LeeKum_Cheong
New Contributor III

Hi all,

Need some insights on the following issue.

<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,92" type="SEVERE" code="218010" source="Portal Admin" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">The portal has been initialized and configured but is not accessible. The internal portal database does not appear to be running or accepting connections. Restart the portal machine or machines and if the problem persists, contact Esri technical support (U.S.) or your distributor (customers outside the U.S.).</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,94" type="WARNING" code="218012" source="Portal Admin" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error at check and update urls. The portal is currently unavailable. Please contact your portal administrator.</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:45,396" type="WARNING" code="217014" source="Portal" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error at URL updater. C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\GeoList\index.html</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:46:50,192" type="WARNING" code="218014" source="Portal" process="3832" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Starting Index Service.</Msg>

Subsequently after restart.

<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:49:41,498" type="SEVERE" code="217003" source="Portal" process="4048" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Error before starting configuration observer. null</Msg>
<Msg time="2017-09-29T10:49:41,498" type="SEVERE" code="217075" source="Portal" process="4048" thread="1" methodName="" machine="XXX.XXX.COM" user="" elapsed="">Failed to start the portal. The observer's beforeStart() function returned a failure.</Msg>

I am on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1, windows 7. Have tried repairing Portal as well, but still faced with same issue. Also, I tried to perform a netstat but couldn't see 7443, 6443 is present.

Thanks.

33 Replies
ChugachElectric
New Contributor III

Dean - Thank you for posting this info, this was our fix after running out of disk space on a single server deployment of 10.5.1.

StefanKoch
New Contributor

In my portal 10.7 I also had this problem after deactivating one of my network cards and I fixed it by looking at

the log file in the folder

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\ds\usr\logs\GIS.KFE.BMVG.ORG\elasticlog\<yourcluster>.log

and then configuring

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\runtime\ds\framework\runtime\elasticsearch\config\elasticsearch.yml
 from network.host:  _site_,myserver,_local_ to  network.host:  127.0.0.1

Also check the doc under Network Settings | Elasticsearch Reference [6.4] | Elastic 

This worked for me.

Hope you find this useful.

0 Kudos
HannesFleischer
New Contributor

Had the same Error Massage in Portal 10.7 after a Bluescreen Crash caused by hardware failure.

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\service\logs\service-error-0.log showed:

java.lang.NullPointerException
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver.d(ConfigObserver.java:830)
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver.f(ConfigObserver.java:937)
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.observers.ConfigObserver.beforeStart(ConfigObserver.java:192)
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.ObserverManager.beforeStart(ObserverManager.java:159)
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.NodeAgent.start(NodeAgent.java:246)
  at com.esri.arcgis.portal.impl.Main.start(Main.java:83)

After some Investigation i found out that the NPE was caused during startup while accessing the following property file:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\webapps\arcgis#sharing\WEB-INF\classes\resources\gw-config.properties

That file had not survived the Bluescreen crash in a valid state and contained a single property rather than a valid list of many (~270 in my case) properties.

Solution:

• Copy that file from another installation.
  • Find the shared key property associated with the corrupt installation in "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\framework\etc\portal-config.properties (security.shared.key)
  • Copy the value of that property to the gw-config.properties shared key property (security.shared-key)

Now my gw-config.properties appears to be valid again. Portal starts OK and can be accessed though GUI and Rest API.

I hope somebody can use this information in a similar situation.

Hannes  

AmaniNgoma
New Contributor

I have the same issue with our ArcGIS Entreprise Portal.

This comes just after I had renewed the license.

The <install dir>\framework\runtime\tomcat\logs folder is empty.

I am confused and worried.

Could anyone help, please?

0 Kudos