Will existing map services remain after federating with portal

Jump to solution
03-09-2021 03:25 PM
StevenCross
New Contributor III

Let's say you have a standalone ArcGIS Server that is not federated with Portal and you have map services already published. If you federate that server with Portal will those map services come across with the federation or will those need to be re-published?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you federate ArcGIS Server with your portal, existing services are automatically imported as items in the portal website. 

If the automatic import of services fails as part of the federation process, the following severe-level message appears in the ArcGIS Server logs:

"Failed to import GIS services as items within portal."

If this occurs, manually import your services as items in the portal using the instructions in the given link:

Import Services from Federated Server 

But the authentication mode will change from GIS Tier (Server) to Web Tier (Portal). 

Think Location

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CraigRussell
Esri Contributor

Hi Steven

Existing services automatically come across and portal items will be created for them.  Keep in mind that any existing users, roles, and permissions will no longer be valid, and your existing map services will use Portal security instead (e.g. share to everyone, organization, or groups).

Craig

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When you federate ArcGIS Server with your portal, existing services are automatically imported as items in the portal website. 

If the automatic import of services fails as part of the federation process, the following severe-level message appears in the ArcGIS Server logs:

"Failed to import GIS services as items within portal."

If this occurs, manually import your services as items in the portal using the instructions in the given link:

Import Services from Federated Server 

But the authentication mode will change from GIS Tier (Server) to Web Tier (Portal). 

Think Location
0 Kudos
StevenCross
New Contributor III

If I already have Data Store registered with ArcGIS Server and I obviously can't use it as a hosted service yet but when I do end up federating with Portal is there a way to update those services to be hosted or will that require a re-publish?

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Once you federate ArcGIS Server site with Portal, and set the Server as the Hosting Server, it will be ready to "host" hosted layers. You need to publish them yet again. These will be new items in portals, not overwriting the existing services (from prior to federated Server) .

Think Location
0 Kudos
StevenCross
New Contributor III

Perfect thank you! I am good with the authentication portion of Portal as no one can access besides myself at this point. We are migrating to new servers and I can't federate with Portal at this time due to the F5 VIPS already in use with our existing environment and can't repoint the IP on to the new servers yet.

Thanks!

0 Kudos