Why aren't attachments showing up in the Photos and Files field?

06-14-2019 05:30 AM
MaryWasson1
New Contributor II

Our organization recently installed Portal and we are collecting data in the field. I have created attachments and using Collector. When I upload data, the attachment is added and updated. When I try to view it in my portal map, it says that there are not any pictures, but when I click on where I would add a picture, the picture is there. Is this a bug in the software? It shows up in ArcMap and the picture is in the database.

Photos and Files show (0), yet there is one attachment.

The picture is viewable when I click on it.

It seems like the number of attachments should show up in the Photos and Files field. Why doesn't it?

Thank you,

Mary Wasson

Tags (2)
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mary,

Does the attachment show in the pop-up:

You will want to make sure Show feature attachments as links is checked within the pop-up configuration:

Also, here is a tool you can use if you want to show the attachments directly in the pop-up:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-7445-show-attachments-in-web-map-popup 

0 Kudos
MaryWasson1
New Contributor II

Jake,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am showing feature attachments as links. The problem is not in the pop-up but in the relationship class table that is linked to the feature. For example, I have a manhole inspections table and manhole defects table in a relationship class with manholes. I have the ability to create attachments in those tables. The attachment from the tables is not showing up in the Photos and Files field in the Portal Map.

Thank you,

Mary

ScottKichman
New Contributor III

Hi Mary,

Our organization has deployed Enterprise 10.7.1 Portal. We are having similar issues when we sync up Hosted Feature Services on both iOS and Android. Our data and attachments are syncing back to our service just fine. We do have to manually configure the popup to see the attachments in the popup, but like you they are not showing in the attribute table. Also, when we click on the link in the popup, it auto downloads the attachment to the clients computer and does not spawn a new tab in our web browser to display the photo.

However, when we are consuming Federated Services on our mobile devices, our data and attachments sync normally and the photo attachment is auto configured in the popup, it will spawn a new web browser tab and shows in the attribute table.

Were you ever able to resolve this?

0 Kudos
MaryWasson1
New Contributor II

Scott,

No, I was never able to resolve this. My issue isn't with the attachment showing up in the feature (manhole). My issue is that I have photos attached in the manhole inspection table which is a related table. The photos are in the database and it shows that there aren't any Photos and Files attached. As you can see in the picture, there are two. No one ever followed up or responded.  I'm sorry I'm not more help. And I'm sorry that esri hasn't replied either. I'm a bit disappointed. If there is a valid reason, I'm ok with that but I'd like to understand why. Jake Skinner

My attachments show up with no problem in ArcMap. I don't know if this is helpful to you at all but this is all I can tell you. 

0 Kudos
ScottKichman
New Contributor III

Hi Mary, Thanks so much for getting back to me. Our issues are similar as even though I can configure my popup to see the attachment, the attribute table shows nothing. What version of Portal are you running? we are at 10.7.1

I do home Jake will weigh in on this thread again and see if there is resolution for us both.

Have you tried the service in Pro?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Scott Kichman‌, Mary Wasson‌,

Instead of using the Map Viewer, create a Web Application using Web AppBuilder.  You will have a much better user experience (in my opinion, anyways).  For example, here is a point that has several related table:

Click on one of the arrows displays the related records:

Clicking on one of the arrows again shows the attachments:

I can't say why the Files and Photos field is showing a 0, when there are attachments. Sounds like this may be a bug that I would recommend following up with Tech Support.

0 Kudos
JennGross
New Contributor II

I'm so glad I found this, i just realized this issue and it was driving me crazy why it doesn't show up there's attachments in the table, when you click on it and they are there and are there in the pop-up. I used to have a layer in ArcGIS online and it all worked fine, but then moved it into our enterprise database and shared the service and it started doing that. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have a bug in Product Plan which is described as: "BUG-000105252 - ArcGIS Online does not accurately report attachments for ArcGIS Server services in the map viewer's attribute table or the Data tab on the item details page."