Select to view content in your preferred language

Why am I unable to Publish/Create a Hosted Layer in Portal for ArcGIS?

04-04-2018 11:22 AM
Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

ESRI online help states that I should be able to create a hosted later from under the "Content" tab in "Portal for ArcGIS":

Follow these steps to create a hosted feature layer from a template or another feature layer.

1. Verify that you are signed in with an account that has privileges to create content and publish hosted feature layers, and open the My Content tab of the content page.
  2. Click Create and choose Feature Layer.

However, when I follow these steps in Portal I don't see any option to create a Feature Layer.  As I'm the one with Administrator privileges I would assume that I am not restricted by permissions etc.  Am I missing something?  Am I not doing this right?  I created a layer using the Feature Access option when publishing, but this doesn't seem to affect anything either: 

Suggestions?

Thank you

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

OK, I have it resolved, at least enough to satisfy my needs, and there were quite a few things that had to be implemented to get this to work.  The first thing I did (as Derek suggested here) was to federate Portal with Server.  Then I tried to add ArcGIS Data Store to our family of servers...something we didn't think we needed at the initial time of implementation.  However, when I tried to install ArcGIS Data Store it would not permit me because I was trying to install version 10.6.1 in a family of servers running version 10.6.  So I ended up having to upgrade our entire ArcGIS Enterprise to version 10.6.1

When this was completed I found that the option to create a feature layer from within Portal for ArcGIS under the Contents --> Create tab is now available:

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

> OK, I have it resolved, at least enough to satisfy my needs

I'm glad to read that you're all set. Enjoy creating hosted feature layers in Portal.

0 Kudos
KristenZacha
New Contributor

I am running 10.8.1 and have the option to add a FeatureLayer in the manner mentioned in the post but I get a failed to create service. Would you have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? My Datastore is Federated and my Server and Portal are as well. I have verified that the datastore is readwrite.

0 Kudos