When to use Portal for ArcGIS?

10-07-2016 04:22 PM
TimHayes1
Occasional Contributor III

First, none of the data I am working with is Public. It cannot be shared Public. 

I am using Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123 for ArcGIS with AGOL. However, I want to be able to view my AGOL Web Maps in our local Web App Builder. This can only be done by setting up a proxy. But, is another option to use Portal for ArcGIS?

Can Web Maps made in Portal be viewed inside a local Web Map made with the Web App Builder 2.1/3.0 without being prompted for a username and password?

Portal for ArcGIS is installed on a local server machine?

I am thinking there are other reasons to use Portal for ArcGIS over AGOL, any thoughts on why you would use one vs the other?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tim,

> However, I want to be able to view my AGOL Web Maps in our local Web App Builder. This can only be done by setting up a proxy. But, is another option to use Portal for ArcGIS?

I am not 100% clear on what you're asking. You can use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition to connect to your ArcGIS Online organization to access your web maps. And yes, you can set-up a proxy. This blog post has steps,

Setting up a proxy with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition | Support Services Blog 

You could set-up Portal for ArcGIS and use its embedded Web AppBuilder - but it will only work with web maps in Portal and NOT your web maps in ArcGIS Online.

> Can Web Maps made in Portal be viewed inside a local Web Map made with the Web App Builder 2.1/3.0 without being prompted for a username and password?

When you use Web AppBuilder Developer Edition with Portal for ArcGIS, as the app author, you will have to sign into Portal with a named user. You can create new web maps and apps, but for these to be accessible without requiring a login, their resources must be shared with 'everyone' in Portal.

> Portal for ArcGIS is installed on a local server machine? ... I am thinking there are other reasons to use Portal for ArcGIS over AGOL, any thoughts on why you would use one vs the other?

Yes, Portal can be installed on a local server machine. Reasons why some users choose to use Portal for ArcGIS instead of ArcGIS Online include:

- work in a disconnected environment

- have strict SLA and security governance requirements

- not ready to use the public cloud

Please also see comments in this thread: https://community.esri.com/message/629900-re-are-arcgis-online-and-portal-redundant?commentID=629900... 

Hope this helps,

TimHayes1

Where do I download Portal for ArcGIS? I am at ArcGIS 10.2.2 (Desktop and Server) and cannot upgrade for at least a year. 

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

my.esri.com > My Organizations > Downloads > Server

is where you will find the Portal install files. 

If you're going to go through the work of setting up a Portal, I would highly recommend going to version 10.4.1

Your 10.2.2. desktop and servers should work with Portal 10.4.1, although you won't be able to federate your 10..2.2 Server with Portal.  I believe federation requires being at the same release.

Correct Derek?

If you're used to AGOL, & install portal 10.2.2, I suspect you'd be disappointed in the functionality difference.  In fact, you might even want to consider waiting for 10.5 since it is due out soon and it has some very useful Portal functionality over even 10.4.1 

I'd also take a look at the Esri Chef cookbook for Portal.  Setting up and maintaining Portal is not a trivial task.

I do find Portal more responsive that AGOL but since AGOL has security (FISMA certification?) you might consider if it's worth the effort.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@Tim,

> Where do I download Portal for ArcGIS? I am at ArcGIS 10.2.2 (Desktop and Server) and cannot upgrade for at least a year. 

Paul answered your question in his post. However, Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS was added to Portal for ArcGIS 10.3 and later releases. It is not available in the Portal 10.2.x releases. So you will have to upgrade to a later release of Portal for ArcGIS.

@Paul,

> ... I believe federation requires being at the same release. Correct Derek?

Correct. Although Tim may not want to federate his Server site with Portal. It really depends on his business requirements.

Hope this helps,