What is work-around for rotating inserted picture.

Jump to solution
05-07-2012 01:53 PM
AndreaSoo
New Contributor
I am hoping this is not too rudimentary a question, but why is it not possible for me to insert a picture (e.g. one-way street sign symbol) in my layout and rotate it?  Is there an efficient work-around to this?  I wasn't able to find any previous related posts here, but another forum made these suggestions:

1.  Modify the picture in another drawing application and then insert it back into ArcGIS (I don't think this is efficient or accurate as I have many symbols to rotate.).
2.  Add a new data frame, insert the picture there, and rotate the data frame (using the Data Frame toolbar).  Again, does not seem efficient.

Would anyone have any better suggestions?  Is this an unusual inquiry?

Thanks in advance,
Dre
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I was going to reply to tell you to use the rotate button, but was shocked to find that it doesn't do anything. Apparently, this is a "known issue" and has been since 2006 - so don't hold your breath on a fix. Seems like fairly basic functionality, but who knows.

edit: if you need to rip through a folder of images, you can use the PIL Python library (example). Basically just open, rotate, save.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor
I was going to reply to tell you to use the rotate button, but was shocked to find that it doesn't do anything. Apparently, this is a "known issue" and has been since 2006 - so don't hold your breath on a fix. Seems like fairly basic functionality, but who knows.

edit: if you need to rip through a folder of images, you can use the PIL Python library (example). Basically just open, rotate, save.
0 Kudos