Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Google Imagery in ArcGIS

04-20-2010 01:54 PM
MichaelTrevino
New Contributor II
Is there a way to use Google's Imagery in your ArcGIS map? I know you can use their street layers and such...I am looking for a way to do this either through GIS Servers probably by adding a WMS Server or a WCS Server? I think. So if thats the case I think I just need the correct URL to plug in...again I think...:) Thats why I'm asking.

Tanks in Advance!
Tags (2)
22 Replies
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
Also most states have free aerial imagery that is provided by the state on a "GIS Clearinghouse" website. Usually these images are way better than Google Imagery and easier to manage. Microsoft's Bing has aerial imagery for the entire world that is very comparable to Google Earth.

I've heard this question come up alot and I have to ask why try and use Google Earth imagery when there are better and easier options out there?

I'd like to correct that.... BING does not have high resolution aerial imagery for the entire world.  There are vast areas in Canada not covered by high resolution Google imagery and BING offers even less coverage. Purchasing Quickbird satellite imagery is the only option for many remote areas up here and we're not even that far up north where Landsat 7 is still the only available option.  The lack of availability of decent aerial/satellite imagery is a huge problem for us especially considering the minimum price for Quickbird imagery is about 400USD/ 25 sq km.  And at least in Canada there is also no free or inexpensive aerial imagery available. (Landsat 7 and SPOT 4 5 and 30m resolution DEM are free but only Landsat 7 covers the entire country) I am aware that the US has a great coverage and availability of imagery as well as high resolution DEM but this is certainly not the case up here.
0 Kudos
FallTroy
New Contributor III
I am aware that the US has a great coverage and availability of imagery as well as high resolution DEM but this is certainly not the case up here.

Sorry should have specified U.S. states.

I'd like to correct that.... BING does not have high resolution aerial imagery for the entire world. There are vast areas in Canada not covered by high resolution Google imagery and BING offers even less coverage.

I didn't say it had high resolution imagery, just imagery. I'm not even sure I would call google imagery high resolution. When I think high resolution i am thinking +/-1 foot accuracy.
0 Kudos
CameronWallace
Deactivated User
All the above being said, if you can't find anything else reasonable for your site, and you're NOT planning on selling or breaking license restrictions you can always print-screen and geo-reference the image roughly into place... but this is the worst/last option.

I think Google Earth Pro snapshots out geo-reffed imagery once again noting license restrictions etc.

Regarding Canadian imagery, it depends on where in Canada you are, in BC the image coverage is pretty good (1m or 0.5m res, with some areas of 10-20cm)...

We've all used hacked around imagery at one point or another, but this should always be the last/worst option, especially if you can't verify accuracy, source etc.
0 Kudos
GideonDalrymple
New Contributor III
Is there a way to use Google's Imagery in your ArcGIS map? I know you can use their street layers and such...I am looking for a way to do this either through GIS Servers probably by adding a WMS Server or a WCS Server? I think. So if thats the case I think I just need the correct URL to plug in...again I think...:) Thats why I'm asking.

Tanks in Advance!

Greetings, you said that there is a way to use Google's Street layer in Arcmap?

I would like to know how to do that as it would be of great help to me and my work.

Please reply or email me at dalrympleg@gmail.com

regards
Gideon.
0 Kudos
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
I remembered this article:

http://www.spatiallyadjusted.com/2011/05/13/latest-version-of-arc2earth-allows-google-earth-imagery-...

I wonder if anyone has purchased their services.
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
@withershin - also wondering about it as this is the only way to do it legally. I think the service is quite expensive though.
0 Kudos
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
@withershin - also wondering about it as this is the only way to do it legally. I think the service is quite expensive though.

Getting someone to pay for it is always the hardest challenge. I fight to have a second monitor forget spend $$$ for data that will support business decisions.

I remember trying to purchase digital globe imagery when I was in the mining sector and those guys had no interest in selling me 2 or 3 strips. I had a Canadian distributor essentially tell me that a delivery of the size of a city is about the smallest they'll do. Perhaps it is easier in the US.
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Regular Contributor II
I remember trying to purchase digital globe imagery when I was in the mining sector and those guys had no interest in selling me 2 or 3 strips. I had a Canadian distributor essentially tell me that a delivery of the size of a city is about the smallest they'll do. Perhaps it is easier in the US.

I personally purchased imagery from DigitalGlobe direct several times without any issues whatsoever. (Other then our business had to be screen by homeland security) Archival imagery from any of the available satellites was always delivered within 2 weeks via an FTP download link.  The minimum order was 25km2 or somewhere around $400. Eventually they passed me onto their Canadian supplier and I purchased imagery from them several times also without any issues staring at the minimum order sizes of 25km2.  Try contacting Pacific Geomatics They are the authorized DigitalGLobe reseller in Canada.
0 Kudos
KeithSaltrick
Deactivated User
You can use static map like WMS-server from Google, but it will slow
http://code.google.com/intl/en/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/

If You need to get Google maps in the Desktop, please, give me your contact

not sure if you are still active with this, but if so please send info. as we do want to use in the desktop.
thank you
priorityrealestate@gmail.com
0 Kudos
JustinMeyers
Deactivated User
use QGIS - its free and better than ARC...
0 Kudos