Usage tab in ArcGIS Online, does Portal have this and can it be turned on?

11-16-2018 06:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ArcGIS Online has a usage tab in the item details page.  We have Enterprise Portal and this tab is not showing on the item details page.  Is it part of portal now and how do I turn it on.  If not part of Portal will it be added in future releases?

Tags (1)
12 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nita,

Please see this help topic,

Work with usage reports—Portal for ArcGIS (10.6) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

LindsayMaier
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

I appreciate your responding to Nita's message. I have the same question as she did, and I've looked at the link you sent, but it really doesn't do what I need it to do because I've found the usage stats to be completely inaccurate. For instance, I know something was viewed yesterday. I was standing over someone's shoulder when they opened it and used it. I, too, opened and used it yesterday. Yet, it doesn't even show up as an item in the "Content Details" when I look for the last 3 days (I did 3 days just to give it a buffer, and there are no other filters set other than the dates at the top).

Really, the way AGOL had it set up in the Item Details was just fine and seemed to provide accurate information. Having accurate usage feedback the way it exists on AGOL is critically important, and since it already exists in AGOL, I can't understand why the Portal would not offer it. Are there any other options? Is this at least on the road map for future Portal updates? Thanks for you help!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Lindsay,

Sorry for the late reply.

> Having accurate usage feedback the way it exists on AGOL is critically important, and since it already exists in AGOL, I can't understand why the Portal would not offer it.

What release of Portal for ArcGIS (aka. ArcGIS Enterprise) are you using? FYI, the functionality in Portal may be slightly "behind" ArcGIS Online and this might be a known issue that was fixed in ArcGIS Online, but not in your Portal release (yet).

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
LindsayMaier
New Contributor III

Lindsay Maier

Crime & Intelligence Analyst

Crime Analysis Unit

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department

Email: lhmaier@slmpd.org

Phone: 314-444-5945

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Lindsay,

The only thing I can suggest is to try to reindex your portal, so your contents directory is in sync.

You can check the status of the reindex by following the steps below.

1. Open the ArcGIS Portal Directory and sign in with the initial administrator account. The URL is formatted https://portal.domain.com:7443/arcgis/portaladmin.
  2. Click System > Indexer > Index Status.
  3. Refresh the page to obtain the latest status.

If this doesn't work, then perhaps you've found a bug. Please contact esri Tech Support to open an incident and they can help you investigate further.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the information.  I think this will work until ESRI decides to add the usage tab to Enterprise Portal.

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@DerekLaw any ideas when the Usage tab will be coming to Portal? We've been waiting for this for a few years now. Or are there other free tools out there that can generate the usage graph that AGOL displays?

David
..Maps with no limits..
John_Spence
Occasional Contributor III

You could adjust the code base of this tool AGOL-MetaData Snagger to lookup the view count daily and subtract from the previous day, and store it. You would get something that looked like this...

John_Spence_0-1663941355621.png

Then you could take that date and generate up metrics that start looking like this....

John_Spence_1-1663941460387.png

Which will turn into dashboards, etc.

0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

The Usage tab in AGO is so helpful.  Really need it it Portal.

If I have an old map or feature layer I am considering deleting, quickly and easily knowing the Usage is helpful.  With the Usage Tab in AGO this can be done in seconds.

• If an old map/feature layer is used daily I am less likely to delete it
  • If an old map/feature layer has not be opened in months, it's easier to know it's okay to delete.

Otherwise it's a best guess