Select to view content in your preferred language

unableto add collaboration feature layer to web map in AGOL

07-20-2023 09:14 AM
Labels (1)
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I succesfully created my first Collaboration between Portal and ArcGIS online - I can see the FL in the AGO folder but I get an error whenever I try to add it to a map:

https:// ... /FeatureServer?f=json status: 504

I thought status 504 was generic for a timeout? 

there are several layers in the FL I'm sharing and I'm not above splitting them into smaller groups or even publishing one at a time if that's what it takes ... thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

update: I see an error that I may have missed on the initial post: when accessing the FL on AGOL, I'm prompted to sign into portal but no matter what creds I enter I get the error: unable to access the authentication service

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @wilcow ,

Hope you are keeping safe and well. I would like to request you the following details in order to understand more in regards to the issue and probably figure out the root cause.

• What is the version of ArcGIS Enterprise you are working with?
  • What is the authentication on ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online?
  • Are the layers being shared as reference or copies?
  • Is this error occurring if I try to access the service from ArcGIS Server REST API and try to sign in there?
  • A copy of the developer tool logs if possible to share

We can try to figure out the cause of this once the above is clear.

-Archit

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

hi there @ArchitSrivastava,

thanks for the response!

• Enterprise version = 10.6.1
  • Not sure I'm clear on what you're asking re: authentication - I'm using my admin password, although as I stated, I get the same results with any credentials
  • I've tried sharing as references and copies with the same results
  • this is a good question - I see the service in ArcGIS Server Manager and on Portal, but when I navigate to the REST services directory, the service is not there
    • I'm going to try to sort this out and see if something doesn't become more clear

thanks again for the response - I'll keep you posted

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

I've rebuilt the collaboration with the same results; upload the developer tools console log as requested.

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava

Hello @wilcow ,

Apologies for delayed update. I checked the logs you shared and it seems you are getting a CORS error while trying to communicate between AGOL and ArcGIS Enterprise as attached.

Hence,  I would like you to have a look at the articles below:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/restrict-cross-domain-requests-to-... (could not find the 10.6.1 documentation, looking for it)

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8C832103A9D2... 

Additionally, when I asked "authentication", what I was referring to was the authentication for Portal and ArcGIS Online, is it Portal security or Integrated Windows Authentication(for Portal) or SAML or any other way.

Furthermore, could you share a screenshot of "console" tab while performing the layer sharing process. This will show us where the CORS is originating from and where it's getting blocked.

Hope it helps!

-Archit

0 Kudos
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

OK thanks for the feedback @ArchitSrivastava 

For authentication on the Portal, we use SAML (from our on-premise Active Directory) with a single identity provider.

Re: your request for a screenshot - I kept developer tools open while I built a new collaboration and saw no messages until I tried to open the synced layer in AGOL. I've attached the screen shot below. Hope this is what you needed

thanks again for you help

0 Kudos
JosephRathvon
Occasional Contributor

I have been experiencing similar issues. Unfortunately I  haven't figured them all out yet either.  I have noticed that when I change the sharing in Portal on the item  the rest service in manager doesn't get the same sharing.  So the item moves but when you try to use it AGOL needs to ask for credentials and the access is not the same.  

The second thing to check is that you allow portal access in your AGOL Organization Security Settings.  I don't think it will totally help but should allow AGOL to log into Portal when you get the prompt. 

We have a colaboration set up using references and whenever anyone in Enterprise shares a layer with the group at that end of the colab it shows up in the AGOL group as my item since I set up the colab.  Then I have to share that item in AGOL around.  It is kind of a pain.

0 Kudos
ArchitSrivastava

Hello @JosephRathvon ,

That sure is an interesting approach to get around the situation. I do agree with you that "Allow Portal Access" should not be impacting this process as long as it's not needed, perhaps this would shed some more light:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/configure-security.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_8C832103A9D2... 

Additionally, I think a better approach here would be to utilize "Manual Sync"(Document below) option from Portal Admin.

The workflow I am suggesting is to switch the Portal logs to DEBUG (Please note these are disk consuming files, do switch them back to the logging level they were before), perform a manual Sync and go over the logs to understand which step seems to be causing an issue.

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/sync.htm 

Hopefully this will allow us to narrow down the cause of the problem.

-Archit

0 Kudos