Turning Maplex Off - Placement Properties

Jump to solution
03-09-2012 11:40 AM
JimW1
by
Occasional Contributor II
I could use some help with Maplex. We have a template that someone turned Maplex on while saving and now I can't get the placement properties to revert back to the non-maplex interface. I get greyed-out maplex options in both ArcInfo and ArcView.

Any ideas what I can do? I've tried about 10 different things but the layers will not give me the non-maplex placement properties interface.

Thanks in advance (hopefully)

Arc10 Sp3
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Jim - right click on the data frame and choose Properties from the context menu.  Click the General tab and towards the bottom, click the dropdown for Label Engine and select ESRI Standard Label Engine.  Voila - back to standard labeling.

Hope this helps,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor
Jim - right click on the data frame and choose Properties from the context menu.  Click the General tab and towards the bottom, click the dropdown for Label Engine and select ESRI Standard Label Engine.  Voila - back to standard labeling.

Hope this helps,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver
0 Kudos
JimW1
by

Hope this helps,

Robert LeClair
Esri-Denver

Thanks Robert. This work like a charm after an ArcGIS restart.

Oddly enough one of my colleagues opened the same MXD and the standard label engine defaulted on its own.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Jim,

Just for your information, in ArcGIS 10.1 you can make Maplex or Standard Label Engine your default label engine from the Customize menu > Arcmap Options > Data View tab > Default Labeling Properties section. This will be the default for all your new map documents which you will create from then on.
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Hi there,

does anybody know if it is possible to use another labelling engine than standard and maplex? The thing about theses two labelling methods is that both always refresh the labels for the entire map even if only the labels for one single layer have to be redrawn.

Cheers

Martin

++
Martin Rick
Professional Services

Geosecure Informatik GmbH
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Martin,

You may take a look at annotations then - they are prerendered labels which are stored in a geodatabase as a separate annotation class.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00s80000001r000000.htm
0 Kudos