Symbols by Categories --> Unique values

10-22-2012 10:49 AM
CWalz
by
New Contributor II
Is there a way to sort these values by the "COUNT" field? I can sort and reverse sort by both VALUE and LABEL and want to sort by COUNT.  If not, do I have to know all of my counts ahead of time in order to add the unique values individually in the correct order? If I've missed something, please let me know. Adding one-by-one will be a bit of a bother!

Celeste
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Well, I was hoping someone else would answer - not that I don't have an answer, just that I don't think it is very 'elegant' 🙂

Just in case you're still waiting for an answer, there is a simple solution, and here's what I did, in brief--

- ran a summary statistics on the field I want to sort symbology on (you don't have to summarize anything, just run it to get a Count field)

- joined the resulting table back to the orig table by the same field you summarized on... (I think you may have the idea now?)

- that'll give you something in the orig fc to symbolize by via 2 categories, the new 'count' field and the orig field...

- here's the trick, I guess you might say, the sort order can be reversed by clicking anywhere in the symbol window (after adding all vals) -- simply right-click and select 'reverse sort'

Hope that helps - let me know if you have difficulty.
0 Kudos
CWalz
by
New Contributor II
Thanks. I'll give this a try. I'm new at all of this, so I probably will have some difficulty, but sorting through it is the best way to learn!

C.
0 Kudos