Symbol idea for depicting way person faces information sign

Jump to solution
02-17-2013 06:38 PM
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III
Hi All,

I am looking for ideas on 1) a symbol that exists or 2) one that I might make, to represent how an information sign relates to a person looking at it to orientate themselves to their surroundings.

We have several signs placed around my place of work so that people and find there ways to buildings. What is happening is that some people when facing the signs (they are marked with a 'you are here' identifier) don't realise that some buildings may be to their left or right because the map is orientated with north to the top but the sign is erected facing east and the person viewing is facing west.

I don't want to re-orient the map/dataframe, so looking for ideas on symbols that others may have seen or created and willing to share.

Regards,

Craig
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CPoynter
Hi All,

Ended up making my own simple symbol to orientate people facing signage placed in different positions with different orientations.

Was hoping something already existed and may have been a standard or widely utilised.

Simple overhead depiction of a head (circle) in front of signage (rectangular box). Circle and rectangle will be incorporated into a style and rotated according to signage placements.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22197[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hi All,

I am looking for ideas on 1) a symbol that exists or 2) one that I might make, to represent how an information sign relates to a person looking at it to orientate themselves to their surroundings.

We have several signs placed around my place of work so that people and find there ways to buildings. What is happening is that some people when facing the signs (they are marked with a 'you are here' identifier) don't realise that some buildings may be to their left or right because the map is orientated with north to the top but the sign is erected facing east and the person viewing is facing west.

I don't want to re-orient the map/dataframe, so looking for ideas on symbols that others may have seen or created and willing to share.

Regards,

Craig

Orientation of point marker symbols is done with the angle field, which is an advanced symbol setting on the Symbology tab.  Two different coordinate orientations of the 360 degrees are available (geographic with north at 0 degrees and going clockwise, and arithmetic with due east as 0 degrees and going counter clockwise like a cartesian graph).  I use Linear Referencing to get an angle of orientation auto-generated for events on the line, which I then use to orient the marker relative to the line direction with a field calculation.

Provide a screen shot of your current configuration if this answer is not what you are looking for.
0 Kudos
CPoynter
Hi All,

Ended up making my own simple symbol to orientate people facing signage placed in different positions with different orientations.

Was hoping something already existed and may have been a standard or widely utilised.

Simple overhead depiction of a head (circle) in front of signage (rectangular box). Circle and rectangle will be incorporated into a style and rotated according to signage placements.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22197[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Craig
0 Kudos