Single point with multiple symbols? Labels in legend

02-27-2012 05:48 PM
caseywatkins
New Contributor
I'm working on a project mapping drainage pipes entering a major river course. I've symbolized the points based on their diameter (symbol size) and whether or not they have trash screens (color).
One of my problems is that some of the locations have multiple pipes and the recorder only entered one coordinate point for all of them combined.
I added labels to the points with number 1 or 2 or 3 based on the number of pipes at that point. unfortunately many points are very close together and the points and their labels overlap.

I also need to enter the Labels (1,2,3 etc) into my legend.

Any ides?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III
Perhaps you could create a set of symbols to indicate the number pipes (see attached sample).  This should eliminate the need for labels, both in the map and in the legend. 
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12329[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
caseywatkins
New Contributor
I'll probably apply this types of symbology to my map. For some records I have two different sized pipes but one point, so I'll have to go back into the database and make some changes, likely creating new records but with the same coordinates.

Thanks for your help Bo
0 Kudos
Bo_King
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Casey.  If you already have attribution for both diameter and number of pipes, then you should create a symbol set without any data changes (see attached sample).  Good luck.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12365[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos