Simple scale question 1:10,000 etc

11-15-2010 12:27 PM
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
Where is the option to add the drop down bar to arcgis? (so you can easily just type in your desired scale or change it?)

Please let me know, thanks!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
It should already be there. If not, it is part of the Standard toolbar.
By default, it is at the top of the arcmap window, beside the black and yellow Add Data button.
0 Kudos
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
It should already be there. If not, it is part of the Standard toolbar.
By default, it is at the top of the arcmap window, beside the black and yellow Add Data button.

Thank you for the reply - unfortunately it's not there by default, however have seen it at previous employment. Do you know how to add it in?

(It makes map-booking a bit of a pain) 😞
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Sure, just right click anywhere on the arcmap interface where there isn't anything (blank spot beside a toolbar).
See attached JPG.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3442[/ATTACH]

You should get a huge list of toolbars. Standard is in there, click it.

Notice that the other toolbars that are active will have checkmarks beside them.
0 Kudos
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
Sure, just right click anywhere on the arcmap interface where there isn't anything (blank spot beside a toolbar).
See attached JPG.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3442[/ATTACH]

You should get a huge list of toolbars. Standard is in there, click it.

Notice that the other toolbars that are active will have checkmarks beside them.

Again - thanks for your reply - I have the standard toolbar active and the scale is not on there as defaulted by the add data button. Apparently some predecessor of mine turned it off or something. 😞

I have looked in the customized options to add that 'button' (which I have not found) as well as going through the options on the data frame properties.

This should be fairly simple can anyone please help - Thanks!!!!
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Again - thanks for your reply - I have the standard toolbar active and the scale is not on there as defaulted by the add data button. Apparently some predecessor of mine turned it off or something. 😞

I have looked in the customized options to add that 'button' (which I have not found) as well as going through the options on the data frame properties.

This should be fairly simple can anyone please help - Thanks!!!!

Hi,

I'm not sure this will work, but click the arrow at the right of the standard toolbar and select "Customize". If you hover over it, you should see "Toolbar options".

This will open the customize dialog. Select the Toolbars tab and highlight the Standard toolbar. Click the Reset button at right. This will get rid of any custom buttons on the toolbar--it removed my project wizard button, for instance. Hopefully, it will replace the missing control!

I also saw a "Map Scale" control on the Commands tab, Pan/Zoom set, but wasn't able to drop it onto a toolbar, so I don't know if it's the same control or not.

Melita
0 Kudos
NiklasNorrthon
Occasional Contributor III
You could also try to remove (or rename) normal.mxt. That should reset everything. It should reside somewhere under Documents and Settings - <user> - Application Data.
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
You could also try to remove (or rename) normal.mxt. That should reset everything. It should reside somewhere under Documents and Settings - <user> - Application Data.

That mxd resides in C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\Templates
Application Data is a hidden folder, you must enable an option to view these in windows explorer.
Note that deleting this will reset ALL ArcMap user interface elements, it would be like starting up arcmap for the very first time.

Whereas the Customization method suggested to 'reset' the toolbar in-question would be the best choice if you have done customization to your interface (imported macros, dlls, third party apps, etc), or work in a networked environment.
0 Kudos
JustineJedlicka
New Contributor
Hi,

I'm not sure this will work, but click the arrow at the right of the standard toolbar and select "Customize". If you hover over it, you should see "Toolbar options".

This will open the customize dialog. Select the Toolbars tab and highlight the Standard toolbar. Click the Reset button at right. This will get rid of any custom buttons on the toolbar--it removed my project wizard button, for instance. Hopefully, it will replace the missing control!

I also saw a "Map Scale" control on the Commands tab, Pan/Zoom set, but wasn't able to drop it onto a toolbar, so I don't know if it's the same control or not.

Melita

SWEET!! 🙂 It's a happy Map-day! This worked and it will take me far less time to re-add my other buttons than I've spent on looking for this solution.

I REALLY appreciate all the responses - Thank you thank you.
0 Kudos