Sign Symbols - update to 2009 MUTCD with Revisions 1 and 2?

Jump to solution
07-02-2012 07:43 AM
JimCreighton
New Contributor III
We're doing some work now that includes placing correct symbol for highway signs on maps.  The signs being used match the US Dept of Transportation's 2009 MUTCD with Revisions 1 and 2, May 2012 (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices).  I'm not finding any font or style set that has even a good assortment of these, and really don't want to have to go through creating bitmaps of all needed signs to create custom picture-image symbols.  Any cartographers within the Federal Highway Administration working on this? 
As an aside, I'm working with recreational symbols right now, and have found that the brown background standard color to be used is Pantone 469, which translates into RGB 96 51 17 in ArcMap symbols.  This is from ESRI US Forestry 1, Basic Latin, with background color modified.[ATTACH=CONFIG]15666[/ATTACH]

Anybody else have a solution?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimCreighton
New Contributor III
OK, the answer from DOT is: "no, a font has not been developed." Their suggestion is that I take the vector version of the signs shown in the MUTCD and create symbols. Didn't want to have to do that, but I've started. So, for now, looks like the issue is on hold for an easy way out.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JimCreighton
New Contributor III
OK, the answer from DOT is: "no, a font has not been developed." Their suggestion is that I take the vector version of the signs shown in the MUTCD and create symbols. Didn't want to have to do that, but I've started. So, for now, looks like the issue is on hold for an easy way out.
0 Kudos