Shields in Legends

09-14-2012 01:28 PM
Syvertson
Occasional Contributor III
I know this has been posted in the past with no solution, but I am hoping with the new versions of ArcGIS Desktop and passage of time there is now a satisfactory solution to this.  It seams it should be simple, but I cannot figure a way to show highway shields in the legend.  This would be particularly nice if you use the same line symbol for several hwy types, with only a different shield to denote the difference.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
You want to add highway symbols to the legend made up of line features, correct?  The legend is populated from the symbology you set for the layers; it doesn't show labels or label symbols, such as highway symbols.  You'll have to Convert the legend to graphics and then add the symbol manually. to the legend.
0 Kudos
Syvertson
You want to add highway symbols to the legend made up of line features, correct?  The legend is populated from the symbology you set for the layers; it doesn't show labels or label symbols, such as highway symbols.  You'll have to Convert the legend to graphics and then add the symbol manually. to the legend.

This is what I had feared, but I was hoping that ESRI would realize that this is a task that they could make possible.  Look at any road map and you will see the shields in the legend.  As many advances as ESRI has made in the legend area, I had hoped they would tackle this shortcoming.  Maybe someone has written a script to overcome this?
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm not sure if there are any scripts out there that will do this, but I suggest you visit the Ideas page, where an Idea may already exist concerning this functionality.  This one may be what you're looking for.  If not, you can post your own idea.
0 Kudos
Syvertson
For any that may see this in the future, I have posted this as an idea at: http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000004MOOIA2
0 Kudos
BrianMcLeer1
New Contributor
I could not find a way in ArcMap, but if you have Illustrator you can export as AI. Then you can select a highway shield in your map in Illustrator. From there, copy and paste into ArcMap. You will have to add text to label the highway shields.
0 Kudos