Setting angle of annotation leader line

12-16-2013 07:27 PM
HarrietPreece
New Contributor
How can I set the angle and length of my leader lines in annotation?

I have about 20 annotation labels and I would like to set all the leader lines to an angle of 45 degrees AND all the same length. I have looked at the leader properties for a line callout where I can set the gap and leader tolerance, but how do I make my leader lines look parallel/neat?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
OllieBrown
New Contributor II
Hi Harriet,

You can specify the angles you want and the lengths by changing the fields in the attribute tables of annotation feature classes. If you use calculate field you can do them all at once too. I'd do it on a copy of your dataset first though because annotations love doing weird and wonderful things.

Hope this helps,

Ollie
0 Kudos
HILLARYHALL
New Contributor II
Yes, we have two ways to set the angle and length of my leader lines in annotation image. One is demonstreated above, specifing the angles you want and the lengths by changing the fields in the attribute tables of annotation feature classes; and the other is use a certain image rotating plugin to adjust the annotation leader lines' angle.
0 Kudos
LizaHoos
New Contributor
Hi Ollie,

Thanks for answering this question! Could you clarify where you can set the angle of the leader lines? When I change the angle field it only adjusts the text angle, not the angle of the leader line.

Thanks so much!

Liza
0 Kudos
ChrisCwiek
New Contributor II

Hi Harriet,

The leaderline is stored as a geometry in

((ISimpleLineCallout)((ISymbolCollectionElement)((IAnnotationFeature)pfeature).Annotation).Background).LineGeometry

as an IPointCollection with 2 points. No explicit angle is stored for the leaderline.

Hope that helps,

Christopher Cwiek

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Adding to ArcGIS Pro

We are now at ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and I am still looking for setting an user-defined angle for label and/or annotation for high quality maps. Is there a technique/workaround to set an angle for the leader line? (not the Angle field in the Annotation Feature Class which rotate text).

I looked at all leader line properties and cannot figure out if it is possible to set an user-defined angle. I also looked deeper in the leader line symbol in Callout > Leader line symbol > drop-down menu Format line symbol > structure tab for Global effects to tweak the leader line... but no luck so far.

Does anybody manage to set an user-defined angle on leader line for Background Callout?

Thanks

0 Kudos