Set Colors for Shapefile Attributes

04-27-2012 11:31 AM
KathleenJohnson
New Contributor
I hope I am describing this correctly. 

I want to set permanent colors for my attributes that will transfer with the map.  Presently when I set colors in the Symbology tab of the Properties, those colors do not transfer when the file is copied. It resets to a default for the original file (one color) when I want each value to have a permanent color.  I have downloaded maps with this feature, but don't know how to set it up.

Thanks,

Kate
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
The best way to do this is to right click the layer and save to a .lyr file, and ship the .lyr file with the shapefile. This will include all layer properties (including labels, definition queries, etc) as well as your symbology. You can load the layer file up in another map document and all those layer properties will be "remembered".

Of course the new way is to create a layer or map package, which includes the layer properties and the data in an esri-specific format that can be posted on ArcGIS online.

I hope I am describing this correctly. 

I want to set permanent colors for my attributes that will transfer with the map.  Presently when I set colors in the Symbology tab of the Properties, those colors do not transfer when the file is copied. It resets to a default for the original file (one color) when I want each value to have a permanent color.  I have downloaded maps with this feature, but don't know how to set it up.

Thanks,

Kate
0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor
A layer file will allow you to do this. Export a layer file (right click on the layer and choose "Save as Layer File") and give this file along with your dataset to others. When they open the layer file, it will have the same symbology that you created.
0 Kudos