Secured REST Services in Portal Versus ArcGIS Server.

Jump to solution
05-26-2017 09:28 AM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to confirm my understanding of how Secured REST Services are handled in the Portal Security versus the ArcGIS Server Security.

ArcGIS Server:

In ArcGIS Server you added user Frank. Frank was added to ROLE WaterDepartment. Secured REST Service WaterMeters added access to the ROLE WaterDepartment. Frank could access this layer in his Flex Viewer by signing in, when he loaded the Flex Viewer.

ArcGIS for Portal:

At Federation of my ArcGIS Server to Portal, all my REST Services are registered with Portal as Portal Items.

In Portal I created a user Frank. Frank was added to GROUP WaterDepartment. Secured REST Service WaterMeters added access to the GROUP WaterDepartment. So if Frank signs into Portal and uses a new web app created in Portal, that uses this secured Portal Item, he will be granted access to this data, without further signing in.

Have I understood correctly?
Thanks,
Janie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JanieGoddard

Hi Jayanta,

Thanks so much for confirming my understanding of how Secured REST Services are handled in Portal Security!

Thanks again,

Janie

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes. Once federated, the Portal for ArcGIS security overrides the ArcGIS for Server security. Thus, you only need credentials of Portal for ArcGIS to access the portal items including the REST services.

Think Location
JanieGoddard

Hi Jayanta,

Thanks so much for confirming my understanding of how Secured REST Services are handled in Portal Security!

Thanks again,

Janie