Select to view content in your preferred language

SDE published Feature Services and Portal Administration

Jump to solution
06-05-2024 06:10 AM
SGTomlins
Occasional Contributor

Our Portal will NOT stop people from editing DEFAULT...  even though it is protected.  This should only be possible if SDE is doing the editing. 

I am left to think that because SDE is the data owner, and GIS_Admin published the feature services using the SDE owner leaves me right where I am....  anyone can edit DEFAULT through the portal is because they are connected to the data as SDE....  the owner.... ?   

Supporting doc attached with particulars.

Pro 2.95

Enterprise 10.8.1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@SGTomlins - Follow the best practices in my database guide books and database template scripts for SQL Server to setup your enterprise geodatabase, follow the Production Mapping Database Guide Books, the best practices can be applied to any industry. 

Avoid DBO ArcSDE Repository, this can cause other issues and the security is not very strong, instead use the SDE ArcSDE Repository, but do not load gis data with the SDE user, SDE user is the ArcSDE Repository owner and the SDE user needs to be used only for geodatabase administrative tasks, the gis data must be loaded with a data owner user, my database guide books and database template scripts show how to setup the enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server properly following these best practices and more.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@SGTomlins - Please contact Esri Technical Support.

I believe you have encountered the bug below.

BUG-000135099 - Branch versioned data owned by the DBO or SDE users allows standard portal users access to view and manage all versions via the service.

Version Fixed: ArcGIS Pro 3.1 / ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1

Workaround: Branch versioned data must not be owned by the SDE or DBO users. Do not register data owned by SDE or DBO users as branch versioned.

Patches:

The ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 Utility Network and Data Management Patch 6 is now live on the support site. The URL is:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-10-9-1-utility-network-and-data-ma...

The ArcGIS Server 10.8.1 Utility Network Patch 11 is now live on the support site. The URL is:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/patches-updates/2023/arcgis-server-10-8-1-utility-network-patch-11\

I hope this helps.

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@SGTomlins - Follow the best practices in my database guide books and database template scripts for SQL Server to setup your enterprise geodatabase, follow the Production Mapping Database Guide Books, the best practices can be applied to any industry. 

Avoid DBO ArcSDE Repository, this can cause other issues and the security is not very strong, instead use the SDE ArcSDE Repository, but do not load gis data with the SDE user, SDE user is the ArcSDE Repository owner and the SDE user needs to be used only for geodatabase administrative tasks, the gis data must be loaded with a data owner user, my database guide books and database template scripts show how to setup the enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server properly following these best practices and more.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Da... - Esri Community

SGTomlins
Occasional Contributor

Marcelo, we will proceed accordingly.  Sadly our environment was set up by others, who.... did not do us any favors in this regard.

Again, thank you.  I love reading your documentation.

Peace,

-Steve

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@SGTomlins - I am glad to help.  : )

0 Kudos
SGTomlins
Occasional Contributor

@MarceloMarques   ArcSDE 8.3 was my birthday era..  Remember how backed up the support queue was in 2005?   You must remember Gunter?  I was in Developer Support for a few years..

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@SGTomlins - Yes, I do remember, ArcSDE 8.3, what a long road, I started with ArcInfo back in 1992 and been working with enterprise arcsde geodatabases since 1997 when the geodatabase was first introduced with the release of ArcGIS 8.0 the very first release of ArcMap and ArcCatalog. Wow! What a journey comparing the software that we have now. Best regards.  : )

0 Kudos
SGTomlins
Occasional Contributor

Applied the patch for 10.8.1 Utility Network.  And it worked to prevent the "protected" DEFAULT from being posted to by any role other than "Administrator".  A portal "Administrator" role is able to post to a protected DEFAULT as documented.

Thank you !!!!!  🙂

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

You are welcome! I am glad it solved the problem.  : )

0 Kudos